How do I turn off pen feedback in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-10-28T00:45:49+00:00

I'm using a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and I need to turn off pen feedback like I did in Windows 7. Please help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-14T22:29:37+00:00

I got this on the Wacom forum, I think...

It's still not a final solution, but it works! You will get rid of the ripple effect and the drag and drop lag!

I still have the CTRL, ALT and WIN tips that appear when I press those buttons while on "pen" mode.

Use this trick until a more sophisticated solution comes from Microsoft and Wacom.

  1. Using the latest Wacom Driver

Note Edit your registry at your own risk and backup before proceeding!!

  1. Applied registry fix that worked for Windows 7. 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftT"TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicroso"TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000000

  1. Used GPEdit.msc Disable Dynamic Pen Options

User ConfigurationsAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsTabletPC

Cursors- Turn off pen feedback set to "Enable"

Hardware buttons - Prevent Press and Hold set to "Enable"

  1. In Control Panel, Pen and Touch, Press and Hold Right Click is checked and enabled.
  2. In the Wacom Table Properties, under options, Set side switch mode set to hover click.
  3. Used current registry hack 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelCursors] ContactVisualisation from 1 to 0, and the key GestureVisualisation 

from 1F (31) to 0 

Rebooted my PC and all is working as it should! I'm able to select text, drag and drop, and click combo boxes on web pages with no delay issues and this is even using the Intuos5 wireless module. The only thing which isn't a big deal to me at this point is when I press the side switch on the pen to right click, A feedback circle appears.

You must enable press and hold right click in the control panel pen and touch to prevent click and drag delays, like selecting text and dragging boxes. If you disable this option then you'll get drag, scroll issues and the combo drop boxes on web pages won't work. To help avoid the right click menu from popping up set the Duration to the Long setting possible and the Speed to short. This will give your pen about 2 second delay before the right click menu will come up. Hopefully a fix for the press and hold right click will found soon!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-28T18:10:49+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query in Microsoft Community!

Good to hear that you are using Windows 8.

Check if it works:

a. Hold Windows key + X and select Control Panel, tapping Mobile PC, and then tapping Pen and Input Devices.

b.Tap the Pointer Options tab.

c.Under Dynamic feedback, select the visual feedback that you want to turn on or off, and then tap OK.

Please let us know the results of the provided steps; also feel free to post us if you face Windows issue in future.

We would be happy to help!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-07T15:32:22+00:00

    the steps marked in this thread's 'most helpful' answer worked for me

    Did you vote it up some more?   ; )

    Also, as I indicated in my first post I think it would be useful to know whether you have a GUI method of setting those registry values or not.   And if you do whether they are getting reset somehow.   The latter seems to be the OP's problem.   Perhaps your change will be short-lived too?   E.g. have you done a full shutdown since making it?

    HTH

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-07T06:08:08+00:00

    You're totally right! I ignored some of the OP's details and decided I wanted this thread to be about the title question. 

    Probably everyone on this thread shows up imagining that the title question has an easy answer across Win8 installs.

    (WHICH IT DOESN'T but the steps marked in this thread's 'most helpful' answer worked for me)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-06T10:45:28+00:00

    Yeah this needs fixing asap. Is this ignored now it's marked answered? Do we all need to post a question on the boards to get MS to notice?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments