How do I turn off pen feedback in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-10-28T00:45:49+00:00

I'm using a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and I need to turn off pen feedback like I did in Windows 7. Please help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-14T22:29:37+00:00

I got this on the Wacom forum, I think...

It's still not a final solution, but it works! You will get rid of the ripple effect and the drag and drop lag!

I still have the CTRL, ALT and WIN tips that appear when I press those buttons while on "pen" mode.

Use this trick until a more sophisticated solution comes from Microsoft and Wacom.

  1. Using the latest Wacom Driver

Note Edit your registry at your own risk and backup before proceeding!!

  1. Applied registry fix that worked for Windows 7. 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftT"TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicroso"TurnOffPenFeedback"=dword:00000000

  1. Used GPEdit.msc Disable Dynamic Pen Options

User ConfigurationsAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsTabletPC

Cursors- Turn off pen feedback set to "Enable"

Hardware buttons - Prevent Press and Hold set to "Enable"

  1. In Control Panel, Pen and Touch, Press and Hold Right Click is checked and enabled.
  2. In the Wacom Table Properties, under options, Set side switch mode set to hover click.
  3. Used current registry hack 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelCursors] ContactVisualisation from 1 to 0, and the key GestureVisualisation 

from 1F (31) to 0 

Rebooted my PC and all is working as it should! I'm able to select text, drag and drop, and click combo boxes on web pages with no delay issues and this is even using the Intuos5 wireless module. The only thing which isn't a big deal to me at this point is when I press the side switch on the pen to right click, A feedback circle appears.

You must enable press and hold right click in the control panel pen and touch to prevent click and drag delays, like selecting text and dragging boxes. If you disable this option then you'll get drag, scroll issues and the combo drop boxes on web pages won't work. To help avoid the right click menu from popping up set the Duration to the Long setting possible and the Speed to short. This will give your pen about 2 second delay before the right click menu will come up. Hopefully a fix for the press and hold right click will found soon!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-28T18:10:49+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query in Microsoft Community!

Good to hear that you are using Windows 8.

Check if it works:

a. Hold Windows key + X and select Control Panel, tapping Mobile PC, and then tapping Pen and Input Devices.

b.Tap the Pointer Options tab.

c.Under Dynamic feedback, select the visual feedback that you want to turn on or off, and then tap OK.

Please let us know the results of the provided steps; also feel free to post us if you face Windows issue in future.

We would be happy to help!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-13T11:48:37+00:00

    I have the same problem! I use 3ds max with my pen tablet.. But now it's unusable..

    Microsoft has to create a way to turn off pen feedback on windows 8!!!!!

    I can't work like that.. May be switching back to windows 7...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-03T12:31:16+00:00

    Yes, it seemed to disappear, but I realized that was because I was using the Wacom Mouse. The feedback is only for the pen. They had the same feedback in Windows 7 Ultimate.

    In Windows 7 Ultimate, I turned it off immediately through GPEdit, and it provided a permanent solution.

    To be clear, this is, however, a WINDOWS issue. Nothing Wacom's software adds the annoying ring feedback when you tap the tablet.

    I'm using Windows 8 Pro.

    Desktop System Specs:

    Intel Quad Core i7 960 3.2GHz

    12GB RAM

    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB Graphics

    Microsoft, are you reading this? Why did you set GPEdit to not work in Windows 8 Pro?

    THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-03T00:50:12+00:00

    It seemed to work briefly, but now it came back.

    That suggests that there will be a service somewhere that is second-guessing your preferences.   You could test for this possibility using ProcMon, filtering with Operation Is RegSetValue.   E.g. see which registry values are changed by the procedures that you use to try to stop the symptom and then see if there is another program which quickly undoes what you wanted.

    Looks like this was a known issue in W7, so some of the ideas discussed in this thread may give you more ideas to avoid having to do your own diagnosis:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/dynamic-pen-feedback-in-windows-7-cant-turn-off/7152da79-7c00-4af7-bb9a-c69f5dd3b3f8?page=4

    (BING search for

        pen feedback Wacom

    )

    BTW since a lot of this stuff (e.g. Mobility Center and Tablet PC Settings) is apparently created by the hardware manufacturer (or at least dependent somehow on the machine model) it would probably be a good idea for people to disclose which machine they are seeing their symptoms and basing their solutions on.   For example, the Mobility Center I'm seeing on my HP tx2 does not have any mention of Input devices, so Anannya's answer could not apply in my case.   However, ICIM I am still using the W8 RP.   In any case the Help screen How to use Windows Mobility Center has not been updated to reflect this possibility.   I linked this thread in my feedback to it.

    FYI

    Robert Aldwinckle


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments