How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-14T00:19:36+00:00

    I worked on an XP computer two days ago and it worked just the way it should.

    I removed the USB stick and Windows Explorer selected and displayed the next level up, ie Computer.

    I understand the newer behavior is what most simple users desire. It keeps the "desktop" "clutter" free and less confusing.

    But for those of us who actually do lots of computer work with many programs, having to open a file manager again is just annoying.

    I currently have three instances open, 4 excel files, 3 notepad files, 2 chrome browsers, wordperfect, and 2 word files.

    It would be crazy for ALL word instances to close because one of the files I was working on was suddenly not available as it was on a removed USB device.


    And:  I NEVER combine task bar items. It is just another annoying menu..

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-09T03:04:16+00:00

    If you pull out the drive that contains the files you're looking at, it closes.  That's how it's designed.  What would you rather it do? 

    This reply is a little late but I felt I had to say something... Shawn Keene, I happen to run into this thread while hunting for a possible method to prevent the explorer.exe process from closing after physically removing "removable media."

    The very first thing I read was your arrogant condescending remark to someone asking a legitimate question about a way to avoid that behavior. 

    The explorer process closing after removing a device even when inserting the device did not spawn the explorer process in the first place may have been purposely coded into windows, but it is NOT a desired behavior that many people want. So, Microsoft made an ASSumption. Making it change focus to the next available resource is not a big deal as this behavior occurs all the time in Windows Explorer.

    Folks like you Shawn, SHOULD NOT interact with the community at all if you hate life so much that it causes you to act stupid. And if you can't stand answering questions from those who don't know every little detail about a piece of software then QUIT, find a new job, or just shut the F#@! UP! Not everyone on the planet dedicates 100% of their life to figuring out programs and software created by others. The sooner you figure that out the better off you'll be. 

    For everyone else reading this, I can say that when I'm about to remove a "removable media" like an external hard drive or memory stick, I find that by simply selecting a local drive first (Like C:) will prevent Windows/File Explorer from closing when the removable drive is taken out. It's an extra step and not a solution, but does save from having to reopen another explorer process.  Microsoft definitely needs to revisit this default behavior.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-23T16:00:15+00:00

    Simple answer: click 'Eject' before removing the device.

    Just kidding ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-05-16T15:36:44+00:00

    Highlight any other drive before ejecting (or just pulling the USB drive out) and it doesn't close. This only happens when the USB is highlighted as File Explorer can no longer see the drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T16:06:07+00:00

    No, it's a WTF.

    If I want to close explorer I will go to the X in the right corner or pick another action to close it.

    If I disconnect a network drive or pull out a device, it should remain open with nothing selected or go to the top of the menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments