How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-22T18:43:17+00:00

    Does no one recall what Windows XP does in this case?  In Windows XP, the focus is moved to "My Computer", or to the C:\ drive.  THIS WORKS!!!

    WHY was this perfectly useful functionality removed in Windows 7?  If it is not broken, DON'T FIX IT!

    Explorer closes when a USB is ejected even if "Eject" is selected from the right click drive menu in Explorer - I just did it 30 seconds ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-04-22T21:21:46+00:00

    I understand that this is different and not what you desire.  I can only speculate to the reason.  Maybe it was from customer complaints that "I don't want it to go to My Computer, I want it to go somewhere else!" and the solution to close the window was easier than building option dialogs (not to mention translating them for every language, region, and version) to pick and chose what happens when you pull it out.

    In any case, since there is no changing it in the final released product of WIndows 7 (they won't go change a product after it's on-market), my best suggestion would be to simply go to another folder before you pull out your drive.  Same effect, just different order.

    Because I have nothing else I could possibly contribute to this conversation, I'm going to unfollow this post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T00:02:12+00:00

    Take care.

    Mama

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T12:06:56+00:00

    Here's a thought.

    How about leaving it on the drive that just got unplugged and making the file side of the window blank except for one line of text: "Please insert a disk into the drive." or something like that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-08T12:48:57+00:00

    Thanks to everyone for attempting to help and confirmation.

    The answer:  Users cannot be stop this behavior from happening.

    This is another example of "clever stupidity."  And the need to learn work-arounds. More attention to the interface takes away time and attention to actually important activities.

    Remember how XP required pressing the shift key to display the hibernate button.

    Clever and stupid.

    By Design: intentional stupidity, expected to be accepted, and endured.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments