How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2012-05-06T16:47:53+00:00

    If you pull out the drive that contains the files you're looking at, it closes.  That's how it's designed.  What would you rather it do?  If it stayed open, you'd get a lot of error messages, "File not found", "cannot access device," "drive failure"... so it's necessary to do something.  The only options I can think of are "close the window" or "go to another place".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T20:01:39+00:00

    I understand this is the coded default behavior. It is clever, but annoying.

    I want it to perform just like when a folder is deleted. The focus moves up to the next available folder. But the explorer does not close.

    Should be an option, at least.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T20:04:14+00:00

    Using eject requires multiple clicks.  This provides no value for me.

    I always let any write processes finish before removing an external device, or disc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T23:56:30+00:00

    It's two clicks, One right click and one left click ?

    All drive letters are listed on the bottom of the Navigation pane.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-05-23T04:16:40+00:00

    Using eject also closes the explorer window.

    This behavior should be configurable.

    THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION IS: THIS ACTION CANNOT BE DISABLED.

    None of the other postings provide an answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments