How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T20:01:39+00:00

    I understand this is the coded default behavior. It is clever, but annoying.

    I want it to perform just like when a folder is deleted. The focus moves up to the next available folder. But the explorer does not close.

    Should be an option, at least.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2012-05-06T16:47:53+00:00

    If you pull out the drive that contains the files you're looking at, it closes.  That's how it's designed.  What would you rather it do?  If it stayed open, you'd get a lot of error messages, "File not found", "cannot access device," "drive failure"... so it's necessary to do something.  The only options I can think of are "close the window" or "go to another place".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T04:33:19+00:00

    Using eject or the safe to remove device listing on the action next to the clock is the safest way to remove a device of any kind,

    That way there is no possibility for errors or loss of data,

    Using eject will make a Safe to remove device announcement appear from the action center.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T00:46:55+00:00

    Thank you for your response.

    This happens even on the comp that does not have autoplay enabled.

    Eject is prolly an option. But seems sorta redundant. Will try.

    I pull out the mem stick and it is essentially ejected.

    I push the button on the DVD rom player, and the disk is ejected.

    Auto closing the explorer is oh so clever.  But stupid.

    For me this is a useless feature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-05-05T21:46:24+00:00

    Don't use autoplay if you do,

    Right click the drive letter that represents the flash drive and select Eject instead,

    I've never had explorer close after using Eject,

    But of course I don't use autoplay either I just close the popup window and proceed with accessing the index.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments