How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-04-22T21:21:46+00:00

    I understand that this is different and not what you desire.  I can only speculate to the reason.  Maybe it was from customer complaints that "I don't want it to go to My Computer, I want it to go somewhere else!" and the solution to close the window was easier than building option dialogs (not to mention translating them for every language, region, and version) to pick and chose what happens when you pull it out.

    In any case, since there is no changing it in the final released product of WIndows 7 (they won't go change a product after it's on-market), my best suggestion would be to simply go to another folder before you pull out your drive.  Same effect, just different order.

    Because I have nothing else I could possibly contribute to this conversation, I'm going to unfollow this post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-22T18:43:17+00:00

    Does no one recall what Windows XP does in this case?  In Windows XP, the focus is moved to "My Computer", or to the C:\ drive.  THIS WORKS!!!

    WHY was this perfectly useful functionality removed in Windows 7?  If it is not broken, DON'T FIX IT!

    Explorer closes when a USB is ejected even if "Eject" is selected from the right click drive menu in Explorer - I just did it 30 seconds ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-03T10:24:02+00:00

    Click on the C:\ drive in Windows Explorer before removing the USB Drive!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-23T15:06:59+00:00

    If you want to use a usb device as a folder stop using autoplay to open the device.

    It's listed on the Navigation pane as soon as you insert the device,

    Autoplay is redundant, but if you don't select Eject when your done other problems may occur as shawn also described/ errors....

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-05-23T12:27:41+00:00

    Thank you for your response.

    The posts did not answer my question.

    As I wrote above:

    "I understand this is the coded default behavior. It is clever, but annoying."

    I assumed this action is hardcoded. But I asked just in case. Many times this type of action can be modified by changing a registry entry. If this is the case, no one who has posted knows of such.

    "I want it to perform just like when a folder is deleted. The focus moves up to the next available folder. But the explorer does not close.

    "Should be an option, at least."

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments