How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-07T15:11:24+00:00

    Thank you all for your responses.

    Unfortunately, it is clearly a non-modifiable default setting.

    When a USB storage device, and a CD/DVD,  is removed the focus should move to the next hierarchically superior available location in the tree, rather than closing the file manager.

    Therefore:

    Since my question was HOW to change this behavior, and I CANNOT change it, NO true answer is available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-06T16:21:50+00:00

    Hi Ernestus,

    ... But this feature is by design.

    Was it by design that I kept hitting the power switch to reboot the computer before I found out that this was a bug and Explorer really didn't crash the computer?

    Was it by design that when looking through a stack of camera cards it now takes and extra three minutes PER CARD to reopen Explorer to both the camera card folder and to the My Pictures subfolder three levels deep and 150 folders down to copy pictures?

    Was it by design that I now have to go to my Windows XP machine any time I want to work with camera cards, CDs, or DVDs?

    There's no intelligence in the Microsoft marketing department.  If I went in there, I'd probably see them all using Macs or *nix.

    The best way to do this is...

    If I click on a removable drive with nothing in it, display "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (d:)." on the file (right) side of the window, and don't pop up a box like you do now.  If the drive requires files to be burned, add a section to the files on the right saying Files To Be Burned, and leave it empty when there are no files.  Currently you get the popup and when you dismiss it, the removable drive on the right is still selected and the section on the right is still displaying the previous folder's files so it looks like it contains the files you were previously looking at on the C: drive.

    If I remove the drive, do the same thing as if I clicked on it with nothing in the drive.  Show the "Please insert a disk..." message after clearing the file list on the right.

    Now in case you think that this bug is still "as designed", insert a thumb drive (or CD, or whatever), open Notepad, and do File->Open.  Click on the drive you just inserted (it doesn't matter if there are no text files, just get the File Open dialog to display the contents of the removable drive).  Now remove the drive.  The File Open dialog (which is run by Explorer) doesn't close, it changes the folder to My Computer one level above.  Why can't a normal Explorer window do this???  Oh, I see, as designed.  Just like the Folder Jump Bug.  Sheesh!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-02T15:24:39+00:00

    Hi Ernestus,

    Sorry for delayed response.

    The task that you are trying to perform is not possible because it is designed like that way.

    We do understand that if this could be added, then it would be easy to navigate when the device is connected in future. But this feature is by design.

    For any Windows related assistance in the future, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-31T07:50:23+00:00

    I don't think he cares about files being inaccessible when device is removed.  It just makes it easier when the next device is plugged in so that you don't have to navigate to it again...?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-02T04:09:02+00:00

    I'm stunned by EVERYONE's inability to answer your question. People are indeed stupid. if you can't answer the question, then don't write a whole bunch of irrelevant **** that the person isn't asking about in the first place.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments