If that were all it did that would be acceptable. I understand if I were sitting on the drive it just removed then explorer should go away too. But for me, I can close the explorer that pops up when I insert my USB drive and it will close the OTHER explorer that is open that is on an entirely different drive (NOT the USB drive.) It is NOT limited to the USB drive...it doesn't care....it's going to close an explorer somewhere no matter what. And this is the unacceptable and frustrating part for me. Let me control it. Stop deciding what I want to do.
How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device
How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2017-12-24T18:06:06+00:00 -
Anonymous
2017-11-09T16:16:34+00:00 Any time a window closes unexpectedly, I consider it a CRASH!
I gave up and bought XYplorer. Double tabbed windows with all sorts of bells and whistles.
MickeySoft can take a flying leap...
-
Anonymous
2017-11-09T16:06:07+00:00 No, it's a WTF.
If I want to close explorer I will go to the X in the right corner or pick another action to close it.
If I disconnect a network drive or pull out a device, it should remain open with nothing selected or go to the top of the menu.
-
Anonymous
2017-05-16T15:36:44+00:00 Highlight any other drive before ejecting (or just pulling the USB drive out) and it doesn't close. This only happens when the USB is highlighted as File Explorer can no longer see the drive.
-
Anonymous
2016-02-23T16:00:15+00:00 Simple answer: click 'Eject' before removing the device.
Just kidding ;-)