How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-06T16:21:50+00:00

    Hi Ernestus,

    ... But this feature is by design.

    Was it by design that I kept hitting the power switch to reboot the computer before I found out that this was a bug and Explorer really didn't crash the computer?

    Was it by design that when looking through a stack of camera cards it now takes and extra three minutes PER CARD to reopen Explorer to both the camera card folder and to the My Pictures subfolder three levels deep and 150 folders down to copy pictures?

    Was it by design that I now have to go to my Windows XP machine any time I want to work with camera cards, CDs, or DVDs?

    There's no intelligence in the Microsoft marketing department.  If I went in there, I'd probably see them all using Macs or *nix.

    The best way to do this is...

    If I click on a removable drive with nothing in it, display "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (d:)." on the file (right) side of the window, and don't pop up a box like you do now.  If the drive requires files to be burned, add a section to the files on the right saying Files To Be Burned, and leave it empty when there are no files.  Currently you get the popup and when you dismiss it, the removable drive on the right is still selected and the section on the right is still displaying the previous folder's files so it looks like it contains the files you were previously looking at on the C: drive.

    If I remove the drive, do the same thing as if I clicked on it with nothing in the drive.  Show the "Please insert a disk..." message after clearing the file list on the right.

    Now in case you think that this bug is still "as designed", insert a thumb drive (or CD, or whatever), open Notepad, and do File->Open.  Click on the drive you just inserted (it doesn't matter if there are no text files, just get the File Open dialog to display the contents of the removable drive).  Now remove the drive.  The File Open dialog (which is run by Explorer) doesn't close, it changes the folder to My Computer one level above.  Why can't a normal Explorer window do this???  Oh, I see, as designed.  Just like the Folder Jump Bug.  Sheesh!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T12:06:56+00:00

    Here's a thought.

    How about leaving it on the drive that just got unplugged and making the file side of the window blank except for one line of text: "Please insert a disk into the drive." or something like that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-04-22T21:21:46+00:00

    I understand that this is different and not what you desire.  I can only speculate to the reason.  Maybe it was from customer complaints that "I don't want it to go to My Computer, I want it to go somewhere else!" and the solution to close the window was easier than building option dialogs (not to mention translating them for every language, region, and version) to pick and chose what happens when you pull it out.

    In any case, since there is no changing it in the final released product of WIndows 7 (they won't go change a product after it's on-market), my best suggestion would be to simply go to another folder before you pull out your drive.  Same effect, just different order.

    Because I have nothing else I could possibly contribute to this conversation, I'm going to unfollow this post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T00:02:12+00:00

    Take care.

    Mama

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-03-03T10:24:02+00:00

    Click on the C:\ drive in Windows Explorer before removing the USB Drive!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments