Any time a window closes unexpectedly, I consider it a CRASH!
I gave up and bought XYplorer. Double tabbed windows with all sorts of bells and whistles.
MickeySoft can take a flying leap...
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Any time a window closes unexpectedly, I consider it a CRASH!
I gave up and bought XYplorer. Double tabbed windows with all sorts of bells and whistles.
MickeySoft can take a flying leap...
I found a workaround! I almost answered the question in a previous post.
Open Notepad. You can reduce the size of the window to almost nothing if you want. Just leave the File menu.
Do File->Open. You'll get the Open dialog box which is a mini Explorer with folders on the left and files on the right. At the bottom, select All Files in the dropdown menu.
Use that as an Explorer window! It won't close when you pop the USB drive out. You can copy, move, and delete files. Open a second Notepad window if you need to have a second Explorer window to drag stuff to. Just don't double click on a file since that will open it in Notepad. Right click on the file and use Open With....
Unfortunately, you can't minimize or maximize the window. But you can resize it. And if it gets covered up by other windows, go to the Taskbar and click Notepad and your mini Explorer pops right back up again!
Also no previews available. But images can be previewed by changing the view to Extra Large Icons.
It's not the best solution (see a previous post of mine for one that is), but it works a heck of a lot better than the current Close-Window-And-Irritate-User problem.
Thank you for your response.
This happens even on the comp that does not have autoplay enabled.
Eject is prolly an option. But seems sorta redundant. Will try.
I pull out the mem stick and it is essentially ejected.
I push the button on the DVD rom player, and the disk is ejected.
Auto closing the explorer is oh so clever. But stupid.
For me this is a useless feature.
Don't use autoplay if you do,
Right click the drive letter that represents the flash drive and select Eject instead,
I've never had explorer close after using Eject,
But of course I don't use autoplay either I just close the popup window and proceed with accessing the index.
Thank you for the response.
This is a default behavior of the explorer. When viewing the contents of a usb device/CD/DVD and it is disconnected/removed the windows explorer instance is closed.
This is way to Mac-like for my tastes.
Clues as to how to disable this behavior?