How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-07T15:11:24+00:00

    Thank you all for your responses.

    Unfortunately, it is clearly a non-modifiable default setting.

    When a USB storage device, and a CD/DVD,  is removed the focus should move to the next hierarchically superior available location in the tree, rather than closing the file manager.

    Therefore:

    Since my question was HOW to change this behavior, and I CANNOT change it, NO true answer is available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-09T16:06:07+00:00

    No, it's a WTF.

    If I want to close explorer I will go to the X in the right corner or pick another action to close it.

    If I disconnect a network drive or pull out a device, it should remain open with nothing selected or go to the top of the menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-14T00:19:36+00:00

    I worked on an XP computer two days ago and it worked just the way it should.

    I removed the USB stick and Windows Explorer selected and displayed the next level up, ie Computer.

    I understand the newer behavior is what most simple users desire. It keeps the "desktop" "clutter" free and less confusing.

    But for those of us who actually do lots of computer work with many programs, having to open a file manager again is just annoying.

    I currently have three instances open, 4 excel files, 3 notepad files, 2 chrome browsers, wordperfect, and 2 word files.

    It would be crazy for ALL word instances to close because one of the files I was working on was suddenly not available as it was on a removed USB device.


    And:  I NEVER combine task bar items. It is just another annoying menu..

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-02T15:24:39+00:00

    Hi Ernestus,

    Sorry for delayed response.

    The task that you are trying to perform is not possible because it is designed like that way.

    We do understand that if this could be added, then it would be easy to navigate when the device is connected in future. But this feature is by design.

    For any Windows related assistance in the future, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-09T18:03:29+00:00

    You should read the whole thread.  XP did not do this.

    And, to be consistent with the 7 behavior, windows explorer should close when a displayed folder is deleted.

    But it does not. The focus moves up one level.

    This is what should happen when removing a CD and USB storage devices.

    I have no plugins installed of the type you describe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments