How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device

Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:01:11+00:00

How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-08T12:48:57+00:00

    Thanks to everyone for attempting to help and confirmation.

    The answer:  Users cannot be stop this behavior from happening.

    This is another example of "clever stupidity."  And the need to learn work-arounds. More attention to the interface takes away time and attention to actually important activities.

    Remember how XP required pressing the shift key to display the hibernate button.

    Clever and stupid.

    By Design: intentional stupidity, expected to be accepted, and endured.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-24T18:06:06+00:00

    If that were all it did that would be acceptable. I understand if I were sitting on the drive it just removed then explorer should go away too. But for me, I can close the explorer that pops up when I insert my USB drive and it will close the OTHER explorer that is open that is on an entirely different drive (NOT the USB drive.) It is NOT limited to the USB drive...it doesn't care....it's going to close an explorer somewhere no matter what. And this is the unacceptable and frustrating part for me. Let me control it. Stop deciding what I want to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-23T12:27:41+00:00

    Thank you for your response.

    The posts did not answer my question.

    As I wrote above:

    "I understand this is the coded default behavior. It is clever, but annoying."

    I assumed this action is hardcoded. But I asked just in case. Many times this type of action can be modified by changing a registry entry. If this is the case, no one who has posted knows of such.

    "I want it to perform just like when a folder is deleted. The focus moves up to the next available folder. But the explorer does not close.

    "Should be an option, at least."

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-23T04:17:57+00:00

    ON LY THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO MARK ANSWERS.

    And yet I find 2 posts marked as answers and they are not.

    ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF MODERATOR ABUSE OF POWER.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T20:04:14+00:00

    Using eject requires multiple clicks.  This provides no value for me.

    I always let any write processes finish before removing an external device, or disc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments