This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows

Anonymous
2012-04-10T22:27:19+00:00

I tried to repair my Windows 7 Pro X64 system using the System Repair disc I had created after installation and received the message:-

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

I then tried to repair using the original installation disc and received the same message.

Eventually I recovered the system from a month old Norton Ghost backup and then re-applied the changes and updates.

After the recovery I created a new system repair disc and booted from that disc only to receive the same message once again.

There is obviously something wrong in the system repair setup.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-15T23:53:10+00:00

Have done some more testing on this issue and have found that if there is more than one HDD on the system then to prevent the occurence of:-

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

 the windows system disc has to be on a lower channel than any other disc and must be the first disc in the boot priority list

or

all discs but the system disc should be disabled in the BIOS

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-12T04:02:25+00:00

I have found that if I disable my second HDD in BIOS and leave only the windows system disc then the compatibility problem does not occur.

The 0xc000000e problem with "Repair Your System" from Advanced Boot was solved with the help of Mark Wharton on the Acronis Forum.

Windows 7, "Repair your computer" F8 boot option not working (SOLVED) | Knowledge Base

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-12-22T09:49:20+00:00

Exactly, this is what needs to be done:

Reformatting the drive using a different partition style


To wipe and convert the drive by using Windows Setup


  1. Turn off the PC, and put in the Windows installation DVD or USB key.
  2. Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode. For more info, see Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode.
  3. When choosing an installation type, select Custom.
  4. On the Where do you want to install Windows? screen, select each of the partitions on the drive, and select Delete. The drive will show a single area of unallocated space.
  5. Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, and reformats the drive using the GPT drive format, and begins the installation.

Don't install after deleting the partition, click the X and then choose repair.

Now you can proceed with image backup...

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-14T20:22:03+00:00

    My computer would not boot, so I inserted the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installation disk and got the error message that led me to this forum.

    I did not have UEFI or EFI enabled, I tried switching boot sequences, disconnected a RAID that was not my system drive, etc., nothing would let me repair my boot drive.

    Until I looked which SATA ports the system drive and the Blue-ray drive were installed. They were in the two last slots of 6! So I rewired the system drive (an SD drive) into SATA slot #0 and the Blue-ray drive into SATA slot #1, in the boot sequence I had the Blue-ray drive first and then the SD system disk.

    That did it for me! Then the Windows repair option finally worked and fixed the boot problem. I did this WITH the raid installed (SATA slots #2 & #3).

    I wonder: When I powered down the computer that last time before it wouldn't boot, I had two USB thumbdrives connected. I noticed that with my computer, if I had a certain thumbdrive still connected, then my computer would not boot. I had the two thumbdrives taken out when the boot problem occurred. But that may not have anything to do with the failed drive. I also noticed that after the repair, Windows update installed 12 updates. Not sure if the 'repair' installed some older system files and those are now being updated? Or did the update got corrupted because I had these two thumbdrives still in the USB ports?

    Thank you all for your helpful posts!

    Regards, Stephan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-09T01:29:01+00:00

    This was exactly my problem! 

    Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments