Hi AlanPack,
Is BING a Modern UI/Metro UI App? The keyboard should automatically pop up within Modern UI as in it should work flawlessly in apps. However, I still can't get it to work.
I have contacted Microsoft Online Technical Support(OST) however they acknowledged this is actual behaviour of Windows 8 and directed me to manually click the keyboard icon on the bottom right. I know how you feel as myself a Windows 8 user using the OS
on an Acer Iconia Tab W500.
There is also a MOD REQUEST on XDA-Developers. I personally have not tried this but judging from the comments I think it could work. Can someone here try it?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1992361&page=2
Apparently it will look for the cursor icon and once this is detected it will automatically start the keyboard application. However im not sure if this will affect the keyboard in other areas such as in Modern UI. Once I am free maybe later I will try and
test it out.
But if anyone can manage to get the Windows 7 Touch Input Panel to work, that would be the best where the keyboard icon appears near the text input field. This gives us the option to launch the keyboard or not.
Im just wondering why with an Operating System designed with tablets in mind ( touch based ) this simple working application was not carried forward from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Also not sure if you use this feature [flicks] where we could flick to the right,left,up,down,
up-left,up-right,down-left,down-right to do simple tasks such as Copy, Paste, Delete, Redo. This feature is still present in Windows 8 however it now requires you to use a stylus [Wacom im guessing] to use the feature. This is rather stupid on Microsoft's
end as it was working perfectly in Windows 7. With this, I feel that although this OS is meant to be more touch-friendly, certain key features have taken a step back. [As what Joe was saying]
Sourcing the web, by far no one has gotten it to work automatically except maybe with the XDA-Dev link above. I will try and get hold of the required files for the keyboard from a Windows 7 computer and get its dependencies too and try and work my way backwards
to get the same Windows 7 feature in Windows 8.
Im glad to see other users are having the same fustrations as me.
If anyone has gotten this to work please let us know.
Thanks,
Nic