The touch features that worked really well in Windows 7, namely the Windows Input Panel and editing flicks, have been removed from Windows 8,
No. They are there. Or at least they work with a pen. I supposedly have them activated but I don't think I am skilled enough with the gestures to make any use of them. E.g. on the practice pad it always says I am too slow and there doesn't seem to be
any way to make it slow enough for it to accept my skill level with it. YMMV.
However, I am pretty sure that they do not allow those gestures where they would be really useful--in the TIP. Is that what your comment is about? There are other pen gestures which should supposedly work (e.g. the Enter one would be nice to try and
master I think) but again I do not seem to have the necessary skill level to pull them off consistently enough, so I just don't bother trying. And again, I highly doubt that they are enabled inside the TIP where they would be most useful, even if I had the
skill to perform them consistently enough. Another thing that I have given up on is fixing recognition errors. I just enter my "typos" and then switch to a keyboard to correct them. FWIW I think that I *once* managed to get all of the editing gestures,
etc. working inside a Notepad window but never inside the TIP. IMO it is essential to enable the icons which indicate when an Editing gesture has been recognized but I have noticed experienced users mocking that feature, so again YMMV.
Ref.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/How-do-I-use-gestures-in-Tablet-PC-Input-Panel
FYI
Robert Aldwinckle
Robert, you are right, they are technically still there. However, they are much more limited in Windows 8 than they were in Windows 7. For example, editing flicks work with a stylus, but no longer with your finger, and even then, they only work within certain
applications. I used to be able to copy text from Internet Explorer by swiping diagonally from lower left to upper right and then paste into Word or Excel by swiping the opposite direction. I have tried and tried in Windows 8 IE (both Metro and Desktop), but
cannot for the life of me copy anything from a webpage without holding down until the Copy/Paste dialogue pops up. It works, but it adds a few seconds to a procedure that used to be seamless, and those seconds add up after repeated operations.
As for the TIP, I do like the new white on black look, but it bugs me that I can't resize it anymore. Sometimes I only want a single line so I can still see my spreadsheet, and other times I would like more lines so I can complete a full thought before hitting
"Insert". The Windows 7 TIP would start with a single line and automatically expand as you continued to write. It also knew the difference between your finger and a stylus, so it came up in either keyboard or handwriting mode automatically, which was very
handy. Windows 8 introduced a couple more keyboard layout options, but I find myself using the previous one more often than not. And last but not least, to reiterate the original point, the TIP doesn't pop up automatically anymore unless you are using a Metro
UI app, which sucks. Again, it adds a few more seconds to each operation when you have to click the taskbar icon whenever you need to open the TIP. It should at least be an option you can enable to have the TIP icon pop up next to the cell you're editing in
Excel or the line you're working on in Word. Afterall, if you wanted an OS that lacked the ability to tweak and customize your interface, you would have just bought a Mac and just let it dictate your workflow.