MTP USB Device Drivers will not install correctly for Samsung Galaxy S3- Windows will not sync Galaxy S3 to computer

Anonymous
2012-07-29T17:44:13+00:00

Windows will not sync Galaxy S3 will not sync computer to cell phone.  When I attach USB cable the computer flashes new hardware added but when you click on icon it goes in loops.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled Kies drivers and still the same problem.  All the other cell phones synced to computer including my iPhone but the Samsung Galaxy S3 won't no matter what I do.  When I open Kies and attach the USB cable there's no reconition of the cell phone.  I did see an error Code 31 show up in devices though.

Add Hardware Wizard shows.....

      SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device  (has the yellow excamation sign)

              This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

      SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface

               This device is working properly

      SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem

              This device is working properly.

      SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite DeviceThis device is working properly.

               This device is working properly.

This is about all the information I can give right now.  I forgot to mention that I'm running Windows XP I hope that helps too.  With all said I don't understand why the drivers required for this device won't load.  Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks all

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-30T12:57:25+00:00

Hi,

  • What is the version of the driver that you are using?

The most current version Is ver.v1.4.6.0 released June 19, 2012.

I would recommend you to please update the USB drivers on your computers and check if it helps.

How to manage devices in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658

If this does not help you, I would recommend you to please contact Samsung support for better assistance.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/

There is a community forum for Samsung where you can post questions.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I535MBCVZW

Hope this information helps.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-22T08:40:53+00:00

    Here is how I fixed it...

    1. Go to the Registry Editor (Start –> Run –>type in, “regedit” (without the quotes) then click OK.
    2. Search the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\
    3. Go upto Edit>Find, type in or copy/paste Portable Devices
    4. In the right hand pane you will see the (Default) value “Portable Devices” on the string
    5. Once found, you see a string value called UpperFilters –> delete it!
    6. Finished!

    Thanks, but it's usfull for PTP only but MTP not!

    Can u help me for MTP solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-22T08:39:32+00:00

    Here is how I fixed it...

    1. Go to the Registry Editor (Start –> Run –>type in, “regedit” (without the quotes) then click OK.
    2. Search the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\
    3. Go upto Edit>Find, type in or copy/paste Portable Devices
    4. In the right hand pane you will see the (Default) value “Portable Devices” on the string
    5. Once found, you see a string value called UpperFilters –> delete it!
    6. Finished!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-21T02:36:40+00:00

    HERE's THE SOLUTION:

    1. Go to the Registry Editor (Start --> Run --> "regedit" --> [ENTER])
    2. Search the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\
    3. If you click one of the few subkeys in class (e.g. {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}) you'll find the string value (Standard) on the right side with a value (e.g. DVD/CD-ROM-Drives)
    4. You have to find the value "Portable Devices" on the string value (Standard) (In my case {EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}, but I don't know if they are called always the same.
    5. Once found, you see a string value called UpperFilters --> DELETE IT!
    6. Finished!  Now your Samsung Mobile MTP Device should be recognized and even installed correctly right away. (The name of the device changed to GT-I9100 (Devicemanager) in my case...)

    Here an explanation about UpperFilters and LowerFilters if you want to know more: http://djlizard.net/2007/04/30/230/

    Maybe this short tutorial can save you some time... =)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-17T03:40:17+00:00

    One more here to say: I have no "UpperFilters" string value, and, as about a month ago (today is 9/16/14), I have lost and cannot reclaim MTP USB access because of driver issues.

    Responding to another comment above: All of the 1.4.6.0 driver downloads online that I have found are accompanied with stubborn malware, removable only with intensive surgery (metaphorically) and Malwarebytes. (At this writing, the official, still-not-working-right driver is 1.4.8.0.)

    Responding yet to another suggestion: My "Tools" download in Kies Lite--I couldn't get Kies 3 to work so I'm trying Kies 2.6 (although my SGH-I747 is running 4.4.4)--does not show any "wizards."

    Everything points to some kind of incompatibility between Windows 7 and the current Samsung MTP USB driver.

    I owned Motorolas for six years before I was let down; it only took Samsung 15 months to disappoint. Sadly, I know this is a Windows 7 issue. (But why did I have access to my phone up to a month ago?!?)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments