How do you disable finger input in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-10-29T13:08:11+00:00

From what I understand, disabling finger input in earlier builds of Windows 8 was as simple as it was in Windows 7. But with the release of Windows 8 last week, this is no longer the case, and that solution no longer exists. Was it moved to a more obscure location or removed entirely? To be clear, I (and many others) am looking to disable finger input while still maintaining stylus functionality.

Hopefully, if it is as impossible as it seems, a fix will be on the way within the week. The lack of this feature has nearly converted my tablet to nothing more than a neat toy. I have to strap cardboard to my hand so that resting it on the screen doesn't make my cursor flip out while I'm trying to work in Flash!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Search, touch, and mouse

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T08:29:14+00:00
  1. Yes, exactly. In Windows 7, the option is in plain sight in the Pen and Touch settings. In Windows 8 the option is no longer there.
  2. Yes, I'm looking to disable finger input while still being able to use the stylus for input. Most of the options I found only disable the touch screen entirely.
  3. It's a Samsung 7 Series Slate PC, model number XE700T1A-A01US.

Thanks for your assistance in advance! I was actually able to find a working solution with some extra digging, which unfolded in a thread over here. Although, this causes some major faults like being unable to use input at all on screens like the login screen (for some reason, no stylus support there). So of course, a much more elegant and direct route to the option would be just incredible for the artists like myself looking for this feature.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-30T17:03:12+00:00

    That does sound like a problem. On my computer touch is disabled until after I break contact. For example when I bring the pen close touch is disabled. I can  rest my hand on the screen. Then keeping something touching the display , like my hand,  I move my pen out of range to be detected and touch  Still disabled. I lift my hand and touch works again.

    So on my pc I could disable touch by just leave something conductive on the screen. But I don't because I don't have a problem with touches, as described above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-30T23:31:25+00:00

    Exactly my problem, you need to leave your wrist on the screen for stability to draw nice curves and arcs.   It's not possible to put the pen point down first without getting a wonky line.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-31T00:04:58+00:00

    You said "exactly" so now I am confused again. Touch is disabled when a wacom approaches the screen but before it makes.contact. So you can test your wrist when the pen is close but before it touches and starts drawing funky lines. You can leave and move your wrist (I can on mine anyway) on the screen while drawing and lifting the pen repeatedly with out touch interacting unless you lift your hand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-31T02:45:41+00:00

    If I ever re-enable touch I'll give it a try, but at the moment I've disabled the drivers and can live with an old style tablet and leave all the touching to the ipadders.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments