I have similar wish, too:
Microsoft should implements a manual or automatic way to deactivate finger input. Windows Journal used to be my favorite note taking desktop app but now it treats finger and pen in the same way; resting palm on the screen produces all sort of marks in the
notes. Natural handwriting is no longer possible as I have to keep the pen very close to (or on) the screen before I can rest my palm on the screen. Anytime Note (a Windows store app) does not suffer from this, though. This means that there should be a way
to either deactivate finger input at app level or for the whole OS.
Both Acrobat Pro XI and pdf Annotator suffer the same problem as Windows Journal: when annotating a pdf file, it cannot distinguish pen from finger touch, making annotation a pain. Another problem I encountered with pdf Annotator is that two-finger panning
does not work. I was told that Microsoft is aware of the bug but is not fixing it.
Windows 8 tablets are supposed to be for more professionally-inclined users. I read and annotate a lot of pdf files and also write a lot of ink notes. I am sure many people, among which are many researchers, students, lawyers, artists, designers, use tablets
in a similar if not the same way. If Microsoft is serious about tablet, it should really fix the problems with pen and touch, as pen is one of those things that make a Windows tablet superior. I think Microsoft should focus on the correct market and builds
on its strength. If you make entertainment a top priority for Windows tablets, you need to penetrate a market with millions ipads; that is difficult. But if you make productivity a top priority, you will capture the market where tablets are first for productivity
and second for entertainment.
I am a long-time windows tablet user and have just got a new Sony Duo 11 Windows 8 tablet. I also have a third generation ipad. Reading pdfs on ipad is very pleasant as apps like pdf expert and goodreader are well-designed and well thought-out apps. But
annotation with a capacitive stylus is cumbersome. If Microsoft is not fixing the above mentioned problems, many people will probably go for a laptop with ipad as companion device. Then they'll have less reason to upgrade to windows 8.