How do you disable finger input in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-10-29T13:08:11+00:00

From what I understand, disabling finger input in earlier builds of Windows 8 was as simple as it was in Windows 7. But with the release of Windows 8 last week, this is no longer the case, and that solution no longer exists. Was it moved to a more obscure location or removed entirely? To be clear, I (and many others) am looking to disable finger input while still maintaining stylus functionality.

Hopefully, if it is as impossible as it seems, a fix will be on the way within the week. The lack of this feature has nearly converted my tablet to nothing more than a neat toy. I have to strap cardboard to my hand so that resting it on the screen doesn't make my cursor flip out while I'm trying to work in Flash!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Search, touch, and mouse

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T08:29:14+00:00
  1. Yes, exactly. In Windows 7, the option is in plain sight in the Pen and Touch settings. In Windows 8 the option is no longer there.
  2. Yes, I'm looking to disable finger input while still being able to use the stylus for input. Most of the options I found only disable the touch screen entirely.
  3. It's a Samsung 7 Series Slate PC, model number XE700T1A-A01US.

Thanks for your assistance in advance! I was actually able to find a working solution with some extra digging, which unfolded in a thread over here. Although, this causes some major faults like being unable to use input at all on screens like the login screen (for some reason, no stylus support there). So of course, a much more elegant and direct route to the option would be just incredible for the artists like myself looking for this feature.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-19T20:55:10+00:00

    I also am Having a problem not being able to locate where to disable "use finger as input device" in Windows 8.

    In windows 7, there was an icon to click to disable the finger touch.

    In Windows 8, I want to disable the finger touch as input, so only the pen will be recognized for touch. This is because when I am writing with the pen/stylus if my hand touches the screen, it accidentally engages the page and opens or "clicks" items not intended.

    Please Help!!!

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-19T20:28:12+00:00

    I also am Having a problem not being able to locate where to disable "use finger as input device" in Windows 8.

    In windows 7, there was an icon to click to disable the finger touch.

    In Windows 8, I want to disable the finger touch as input, so only the pen will be recognized for touch. This is because when I am writing with the pen/stylus if my hand touches the screen, it accidentally engages the page and opens or "clicks" items not intended.

    Please Help!!!

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T14:07:17+00:00

    Hi,

    As you mentioned creating a new user account the issue does not persist. Therefore it could be the old user account has become corrupted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T13:40:43+00:00

    Hi Jessen.

    1. I disabled the finger touch via Regedit as described by daov. However, sometimes I would like that the touch (not only the pen) would recognized. But re-enabling does not work anymore.
    2. Yes, more precisely: i could toggle between touch on and touch off using the exported values (I had to relogin though).
    3. Yes, there was a change: I upgraded to Windows 8.1 but this made the outer screen of my Asus Taichi 31 not to work due to some driver issue. So I went back to Windows 8 and used the saved values of regedit to disable touch.

    Important remark:

    If I create a new user, the finger touch is recognized. The finger touch is also recognized by the system before logging in.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments