How do you disable finger input in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-10-29T13:08:11+00:00

From what I understand, disabling finger input in earlier builds of Windows 8 was as simple as it was in Windows 7. But with the release of Windows 8 last week, this is no longer the case, and that solution no longer exists. Was it moved to a more obscure location or removed entirely? To be clear, I (and many others) am looking to disable finger input while still maintaining stylus functionality.

Hopefully, if it is as impossible as it seems, a fix will be on the way within the week. The lack of this feature has nearly converted my tablet to nothing more than a neat toy. I have to strap cardboard to my hand so that resting it on the screen doesn't make my cursor flip out while I'm trying to work in Flash!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Search, touch, and mouse

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T08:29:14+00:00
  1. Yes, exactly. In Windows 7, the option is in plain sight in the Pen and Touch settings. In Windows 8 the option is no longer there.
  2. Yes, I'm looking to disable finger input while still being able to use the stylus for input. Most of the options I found only disable the touch screen entirely.
  3. It's a Samsung 7 Series Slate PC, model number XE700T1A-A01US.

Thanks for your assistance in advance! I was actually able to find a working solution with some extra digging, which unfolded in a thread over here. Although, this causes some major faults like being unable to use input at all on screens like the login screen (for some reason, no stylus support there). So of course, a much more elegant and direct route to the option would be just incredible for the artists like myself looking for this feature.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-09T13:49:46+00:00

    Nothing from MS that I am aware of.

    The above script I referenced will actually not work at all for this and/or Windows 8 due to security restrictions as well no support for the PowerShell cmdlet.

    You can go into Device Manager and disable the device controlling the pen but that is it.

    If this feature returns, I would not expect it until Windows Blue/8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-06T12:03:40+00:00

    So Same problem here

    Still no official reply from Microsoft ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-22T19:29:01+00:00

    Very true. I only offer it as a last resort. This person wrote a small script to accomplish this as well here. The devid would have to be altered to the correct device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-22T18:14:52+00:00

    Thx , this will work but still its a pain , which means it cant be used productively , that is to say , unless Microsoft brings that check box and tray icon back , working with stylus is pain , which defeats the purpose .

    Seriously , we do need that disable touch back ! in 1 easy check box to take less than 2 sec to turn it on and off

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments