svchost.exe constantly downloading stuff eating up my limited bandwidth

Anonymous
2012-05-04T19:46:37+00:00

Hello everyone, I am running Windows 7 and recently I've been having this problem with svchost.exe and I hope someone on here could help me fix it. The problem is that my computer out of no where just starts downloading stuff (I don't know what it is downloading), I have a bandwidth monitor (BitMeter) and have noticed these constant downloads. So I started researching using the internet and a little program called TCPView and found out that the downloads are being caused by a program (don't know which one) using svchost.exe. Using TCPView I am able to end the process, with that said using the task manager these processes are not visible or accessible so my only chance to stop it is to use another TCP or process viewer. Also when I stop it it is only temporary because it starts up again after a few minutes.

 I ran the (tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe") command and found a few inconsistance with the downloading running and without (after I stopped it) and found with it running/downloading Appinfo, BITS, and Wuauserv are being used I don't know what program is using this service, hope that helps. I can't afford to keep it running because I have a limited amount of bandwidth I tried a few things such as HiJackThis, Norton Internet Security, Avast Anti Virus, Windows Defender just to mention a few I even restored my PC to the way it was when I first bought it and neither of them fixed my problem. Help Please

Excuse my english/grammer I am a bit frustrated now trying to keep this thing at bay, thanks in advance for all your help

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-17T13:17:40+00:00

Its occur mostly because of BITS(Background Intelligent Transfer Service)

Stop this service.

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - search for BITS and Stop the service by right clicking on it then click on stop. Also in the properties of this service select manual or disable.

You can enable it to update ur windows anytime whnevr u hv an idle connction.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-15T09:08:57+00:00

    When a svchost Process seems to be running amok the usual problem is some affliction with Windows Update.  Sometimes it could be malicious software that is running under one of the svchost Processes because the malware hides in places it knows you are unlikely to "see" it unless you know where to look.

    Folks try all kinds of things to "fix" the problem such as renaming important Windows files, disabling important Windows Services, etc. but that does not fix the real problem.  Such actions fix the symptom of the problem and leave your system in a sometimes crippled or vulnerable condition.

    The right course of action is to fix the problem and not try to fix the symptoms of the problem.

    If you have been tampering with things like the BITS or Windows Update Services you should undo that tampering and work on fixing the real problem.

    Windows Update has been afflicted for many months but there is a solution that is proving to be successful in fixing the WU problems and that discussion is found in this link:

    Windows Update Problems?  Read this first.

    There are really two important updates that need to be applied to your system and then you will need to undo any of the other adjustments you might have made - like if you have disabled the BITS or Windows Update Service, you need to undo those adjustments.

    Normally the svchost Processes should be showing very little activity unless the Services they are hosting are legitimately doing something important (Windows Update or backup, etc.)...  then the svchost Processe should go back to showing very little activity.

    If a svchost Process is running amok it make more sense to find a fix the real problem instead of fixing the symptoms.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-03T21:36:32+00:00

    I can confirm in my case it was the Delivery Optimization service that saturated my bandwidth making it practically impossible to do anything else on the internet(streaming, browsing, ...etc). The other two services have some impact on bandwidth(as I first tried with stopping and disabling these services to no success to stop the bandwidth starvation) but it's far less than the Delivery Optimization service. Once I disabled that service, I had a decent bandwidth usage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-03T21:53:07+00:00

    There's even a nicer way for disabling this service here https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-05T14:21:05+00:00

    My case was also Delivery optimization, But I couldn't control even after disabling delivery optimization.

    Finally I went for reset the PC option without formatting the HDD which lead me to solve the issue....

    (If you have backup of the all the application software with appropriate licenses and patience to re-install all the apps again, you can go through the reset option).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments