svchost.exe constantly downloading stuff eating up my limited bandwidth

Anonymous
2012-05-04T19:46:37+00:00

Hello everyone, I am running Windows 7 and recently I've been having this problem with svchost.exe and I hope someone on here could help me fix it. The problem is that my computer out of no where just starts downloading stuff (I don't know what it is downloading), I have a bandwidth monitor (BitMeter) and have noticed these constant downloads. So I started researching using the internet and a little program called TCPView and found out that the downloads are being caused by a program (don't know which one) using svchost.exe. Using TCPView I am able to end the process, with that said using the task manager these processes are not visible or accessible so my only chance to stop it is to use another TCP or process viewer. Also when I stop it it is only temporary because it starts up again after a few minutes.

 I ran the (tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe") command and found a few inconsistance with the downloading running and without (after I stopped it) and found with it running/downloading Appinfo, BITS, and Wuauserv are being used I don't know what program is using this service, hope that helps. I can't afford to keep it running because I have a limited amount of bandwidth I tried a few things such as HiJackThis, Norton Internet Security, Avast Anti Virus, Windows Defender just to mention a few I even restored my PC to the way it was when I first bought it and neither of them fixed my problem. Help Please

Excuse my english/grammer I am a bit frustrated now trying to keep this thing at bay, thanks in advance for all your help

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-17T13:17:40+00:00

Its occur mostly because of BITS(Background Intelligent Transfer Service)

Stop this service.

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - search for BITS and Stop the service by right clicking on it then click on stop. Also in the properties of this service select manual or disable.

You can enable it to update ur windows anytime whnevr u hv an idle connction.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-02T15:22:48+00:00

    You already did most of the work necessary to find out what's causing it. It's a windows service (one out of the list you mentioned) using svchost.exe. In order to find out which one it is, you need to stop one service at a time until the bandwidth is cut down. Run "services.msc" and start stopping one service at a time (out of the list you get from tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe"). There you will have the culprit.

    Also see my blog post on the issue, it will help you with the list of services: http://blog.haraldkraft.de/2012/11/windows-service-svchost-exe-is-downloading-constantly/

    Hope this helps/helped.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-19T23:55:21+00:00

    Go to Windows Settings in Windows 10. Click the category "Update & security." In the Windows Update section, click "Advanced options," then "Choose how updates are delivered." Either completely turn off this [slightly helpful but] bandwidth-consuming setting or check the radio "PCs on my local network." Otherwise, your computer is constantly sending bits of Windows updates to others users around the world to help them receive the file from more than just one Microsoft-provided server. Essentially, it's peer-to-peer file-sharing (torrenting) but for non-illegal and Microsoft-sanctioned Windows updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-09T17:03:18+00:00

    Even if i stop and disable the BITS, its restarting automatically and running continuously...

    Hi,

    When you say that it's restarting automatically and running continuously, are you referring to the BITS Service? If so, I suggest that you post your concern on this link: Technet Forums for appropriate help.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-08T03:37:50+00:00

    I am having the same problem.  Using Resource Monitor to filter by svchost.exe I was able to determine that it is wuauserv (Windows Update) that is consuming my upstream bandwidth (200Kb/s - 700Kb/s).  It appears to be going to a Microsoft IP address 157.55.60.56.  I'm not sure what it's sending but would definitely like to figure it out.  If I stop the Windows Update service the traffic stops.  It also appears to be consistently using about 10% CPU.  I am running 64-bit Windows 8 Pro.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments