Windows 8 Explorer.exe keeps crashing and restarting

Anonymous
2012-11-06T07:06:03+00:00

Hi

I upgraded my windows 7 ultimate to windows 8 pro couple of weeks before when windows released. After the upgrade the explorer.exe getting restarted every 1 minute. I thought the upgrade was not fine and did a clean install afterwards.. Everything was fine for two weeks and then today

the same problem happened

The explorer is getting restarted and it is no annoying that i cannot use my thinkpad

Please find the error log in found in event viewer

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x50107dbc

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16420, time stamp: 0x505ab405

Exception code: 0xc000071f

Fault offset: 0x000000000011808f

Faulting process ID: 0xf00

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdbbec7ad21138

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report ID: ddf2f77e-27df-11e2-be75-685d432e670f

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-12T22:56:51+00:00

    for those having this problem if you have Mozy backup installed go to their forums there is a fix for this  - I followed the instructions on the mozy board and now no more bsod's

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-01T03:56:17+00:00

    Hi there Sharief, happy new year to you.

    My explorer.exe issue still exists, I am not sure what update Goose66 was referring to, but I have not had any new updates come down apart from Defender virus definitions.

    Do you have any suggestions for me, I pasted my error code above?

    Should I perhaps try an explorer replacement such as directory opus? 

    Do you have any suggestions for me?

    Thanks

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-31T14:25:26+00:00

    Just to update my problem, an automatic update appears to have resolved the constant crashing and the AppleCharger.sys error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T21:23:37+00:00

    I am having a similar problem with Windows 8 (clean install), but the issue is slightly different than described here.

    With no apparent pattern, sometimes when I want to right-click a folder in Explorer to then drill down to copy a file to paste elsewhere, Explorer crashes - it switches to what looks like  a blank Start menu with the task bar at the bottom, and after 10-15 seconds the desktop appears but the right-click operation has aborted.

    Also, if I am able to successfully right-click and copy the file, when I then try and right-click the target folder to paste the file, Explorer crashes in the same way.

    Even if I right-click to try and bring up Properties, Explorer crashes.  Once it starts doing this, it will not stop doing it even after a reboot, until I am again able to right-click and bring up the property sheet of that folder...once I can do that, Explorer will behave correctly.

    I have been completely unable to induce this behavior.  It is random and intermittent, but I can tell I am looking at some kind of fault in Windows 8 Explorer.

    Any hints?  Any suggestions to try and enable some feature to catch Windows 8 Explorer misbehaving, when it happens, so I can post details for analysis?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-12-16T05:10:58+00:00

    I have a similar issue when viewing folders with a large amount of files via explorer.exe.  I thought initially my upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8 pro (x64) might have been to blame, so I did a fresh reinstall and the issue is back.

    I slowly replaced my favourite applications, like Skype, MSN, Yahoo Messenger and NERO none of these seem to be the culprit I am thinking a windows update might be triggering the issue.

    In windows 7 the same issue did not exist on the same hardware, and my laptop with windows 7 x64 with the same applications does not cause the problem.

    Why does Microsoft torture us so?  Steven Balmer surely must have bought a lot of Apple shares.

    Regards

    Mark


    Description

    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

    Problem signature

    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

    Application Name: Explorer.EXE

    Application Version: 6.2.9200.16433

    Application Timestamp: 50763312

    Fault Module Name: StackHash_58b1

    Fault Module Version: 6.2.9200.16420

    Fault Module Timestamp: 505ab405

    Exception Code: c0000374

    Exception Offset: PCH_BF_FROM_ntdll+0x0000000000002C2A

    OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.103

    Locale ID: 3081

    Additional Information 1: 58b1

    Additional Information 2: 58b107ff772738b9d40473f199a9bbac

    Additional Information 3: b522

    Additional Information 4: b52212de656cbd56c1c74c81c1f614a4

    Extra information about the problem

    Bucket ID: b580a4a6a7c292c5d36288585025615f (83237873)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments