how to: copy a CD to another CD which is blank

Anonymous
2012-01-20T16:03:44+00:00

Original Title**: where is the "disk copy" command?**

Using Windows Explorer (in Windows 7 64Pro) I see no familiar "disk copy" command to automatically make a backup copy of a CD or DVD that is currently in my DVD burner.  How can I use Windows Explorer to copy a disk that is in the D: (DVD) drive?

(I have tried various combinations of this question in the Help menu installed with Win 7 w/o any answer that remotely addresses this very simple [and I must assume common] question....similarly, I found no answer at the Windows 7 home page...)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-20T16:48:41+00:00

Using Windows Explorer (in Windows 7 64Pro) I see no familiar "disk copy" command to automatically make a backup copy of a CD or DVD that is currently in my DVD burner.  How can I use Windows Explorer to copy a disk that is in the D: (DVD) drive?

(I have tried various combinations of this question in the Help menu installed with Win 7 w/o any answer that remotely addresses this very simple [and I must assume common] question....similarly, I found no answer at the Windows 7 home page...)

Diskcopy is a DOS facility. Since Windows arrived some 25 years ago, you do these things with a graphical user interface rather than with a command.

Open two Windows Explorer frames, then drag the DVD item to wherever you want it on your hard disk. That's all.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Günter Born 49,461 Reputation points
2012-01-20T17:09:13+00:00

Beside the answer given by Pegasus - as far as I remember, discopy has been removed als context menu command in Windows 7 (because it was only used for floppy discs in previous Windows versions).

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-20T22:05:21+00:00

Ok...upon further investigation, I suppose the only way to perform a "disc copy" to to drag all the contents of the CD to a folder set up for that purpose on C:, remove the original CD, insert a blank CD, drag all the files back to D: and click: "Burn to Disc"...a bit more cumbersome but workable...and, I did spell disc as disk....so, I need to be more careful with my questions...

Windows 7 does not have a direct "CD Copy" function but some third-party programs do, e.g. ImgBurn (www.imgburn.com).

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-05-14T05:30:09+00:00

    Ric - Thanks for replying.  I'm not trying to copy music.  I'm simply trying to take a CD with a couple of tracks of audio and burn it onto a new disc (in other words to make a duplicate). 

    When I put the first disc in the DVD burner drive, if Windows Media Player comes up at all, it may (or may not) show the tracks (the CD in question has 2 tracks).  If it shows them, then over in the right side of the screen there is a box that says to drag the files you want to copy into that box, but when I try to drag them over, they don't move into the box, so of course I am unable to burn them to a blank CD. 

    It is amazing how long I have been trying to do this - how many responses I have read, none of which work, and how apparently incapable all of the people in this forum and in Google searches of giving an understandable answer to what should be a simple question.  I used to be able to do this in XP, etc. with no problem. 

    If you could actually give me an answer that would work, I would definitely owe you a favor.   Tony in Sun Lakes, AZ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-05-14T05:34:24+00:00

    Toni - I am having the same problem, running 8.1.  I've got a message out there - if someone can show me how to do this, I will pass it on to you.  Apparently Windows Media Player is supposed to do this, but I have read that WMP is very poorly designed, and it was recommended to buy some other program that would copy a CD.  That's really too bad - I wish Microsoft had some competion - I'd get rid of them in a heartbeat!

    Tony in Sun Lakes, AZ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments