how to: copy a CD to another CD which is blank

Anonymous
2012-01-20T16:03:44+00:00

Original Title**: where is the "disk copy" command?**

Using Windows Explorer (in Windows 7 64Pro) I see no familiar "disk copy" command to automatically make a backup copy of a CD or DVD that is currently in my DVD burner.  How can I use Windows Explorer to copy a disk that is in the D: (DVD) drive?

(I have tried various combinations of this question in the Help menu installed with Win 7 w/o any answer that remotely addresses this very simple [and I must assume common] question....similarly, I found no answer at the Windows 7 home page...)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-20T16:48:41+00:00

Using Windows Explorer (in Windows 7 64Pro) I see no familiar "disk copy" command to automatically make a backup copy of a CD or DVD that is currently in my DVD burner.  How can I use Windows Explorer to copy a disk that is in the D: (DVD) drive?

(I have tried various combinations of this question in the Help menu installed with Win 7 w/o any answer that remotely addresses this very simple [and I must assume common] question....similarly, I found no answer at the Windows 7 home page...)

Diskcopy is a DOS facility. Since Windows arrived some 25 years ago, you do these things with a graphical user interface rather than with a command.

Open two Windows Explorer frames, then drag the DVD item to wherever you want it on your hard disk. That's all.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Günter Born 49,461 Reputation points
2012-01-20T17:09:13+00:00

Beside the answer given by Pegasus - as far as I remember, discopy has been removed als context menu command in Windows 7 (because it was only used for floppy discs in previous Windows versions).

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-20T22:05:21+00:00

Ok...upon further investigation, I suppose the only way to perform a "disc copy" to to drag all the contents of the CD to a folder set up for that purpose on C:, remove the original CD, insert a blank CD, drag all the files back to D: and click: "Burn to Disc"...a bit more cumbersome but workable...and, I did spell disc as disk....so, I need to be more careful with my questions...

Windows 7 does not have a direct "CD Copy" function but some third-party programs do, e.g. ImgBurn (www.imgburn.com).

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-06-30T22:37:04+00:00

    how to copy cd to blank cd on windows 10

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-05-14T10:40:37+00:00

    Hi Toni - well Karaoke CD+G is something that has completely passed me by! It's the first time I recall seeing it mentioned in the forum. A quick internet search suggests this is something that Windows alone cannot do and special software is needed; digging around online may be your best bet e.g. - HERE

    As regards copying audio CD - with the current WMP it is necessary to rip the tracks to your PC first - then burn them. More sophisticated programs permit direct copying, and will often do a better job! Although WMP remains a core part of Windows OS (W7 to present) it has largely been sidelined in favour of 'Groove' (which can neither rip or burn!) -

    Anthony - Hi, yes I used to use XP - I don't recall copying CDs directly with it myself, but at least MS still looked after WMP better back then. As I said above, you would need to rip your audio tracks to the PC first and then you can drag them to the burn pane... Once you have checked the new burn you can then delete the ripped files. (Do this from the WMP library). Probably best to rip the originals in wav. format to optimize audio quality (shown below for clarification). Let me know if further details are needed.- I've also posted in your other thread HERE

    Regards, Ric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments