how to: copy a CD to another CD which is blank

Anonymous
2012-01-20T16:03:44+00:00

Original Title**: where is the "disk copy" command?**

Using Windows Explorer (in Windows 7 64Pro) I see no familiar "disk copy" command to automatically make a backup copy of a CD or DVD that is currently in my DVD burner.  How can I use Windows Explorer to copy a disk that is in the D: (DVD) drive?

(I have tried various combinations of this question in the Help menu installed with Win 7 w/o any answer that remotely addresses this very simple [and I must assume common] question....similarly, I found no answer at the Windows 7 home page...)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-20T16:48:41+00:00

Using Windows Explorer (in Windows 7 64Pro) I see no familiar "disk copy" command to automatically make a backup copy of a CD or DVD that is currently in my DVD burner.  How can I use Windows Explorer to copy a disk that is in the D: (DVD) drive?

(I have tried various combinations of this question in the Help menu installed with Win 7 w/o any answer that remotely addresses this very simple [and I must assume common] question....similarly, I found no answer at the Windows 7 home page...)

Diskcopy is a DOS facility. Since Windows arrived some 25 years ago, you do these things with a graphical user interface rather than with a command.

Open two Windows Explorer frames, then drag the DVD item to wherever you want it on your hard disk. That's all.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Günter Born 49,461 Reputation points
2012-01-20T17:09:13+00:00

Beside the answer given by Pegasus - as far as I remember, discopy has been removed als context menu command in Windows 7 (because it was only used for floppy discs in previous Windows versions).

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-20T22:05:21+00:00

Ok...upon further investigation, I suppose the only way to perform a "disc copy" to to drag all the contents of the CD to a folder set up for that purpose on C:, remove the original CD, insert a blank CD, drag all the files back to D: and click: "Burn to Disc"...a bit more cumbersome but workable...and, I did spell disc as disk....so, I need to be more careful with my questions...

Windows 7 does not have a direct "CD Copy" function but some third-party programs do, e.g. ImgBurn (www.imgburn.com).

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-03T17:35:33+00:00

    The problem with long threads (like this one) is that you easily miss contributions.

    Agreed Frederik - I am going to suggest that this thread is locked because both Anthony (Hi again Anthony) and Gene may be better served by posting their individual questions with details of OS used etc. under 'Participate' (ask a Q) at the top of the page... also this thread is several years old - answered - and largely irrelevant to more recent versions of Windows. I sympathize with any user who is having disc creation problems because MS seems to regard CD as old tech - e.g. no rip or burn features in Groove - yet many users still want/need it.  NB Other posters please do not add further contributions until it is determined if this should be locked - as it may not be possible to reply - Thanks, Ric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-03T17:00:02+00:00

    No help with windows 10

    The problem with long threads (like this one) is that you easily miss contributions. I wrote a detailed reply a few hours ago, mentioned the various versions of Windows Media Player. Your terse reply suggests that you missed it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments