Task manager shows high disk usage above 95%

Anonymous
2012-10-29T09:18:27+00:00

Just updated to windows 8 from windows 7, my task manager shows high disk usage.

I have 150 Gb free HD space

4 Gb ram

Intel Core i5 -2520M CPU @ 2.50GHZ

Please advice

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T14:22:34+00:00

Hi

See the post http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-keeps-slows-down-to-100-disk-usage-and/cd787f8d-e7b4-4872-aecb-6f0cd15ad942

Towards the end there are couple of posts by Jeremy on how this can be solved by cloning the HDD and formatting it and recloning. I too have this problem on windows 8 / 8.1 machine since more than one year but have not tried the solution suggested by Jeremy yet. I have tried several other tricks.

At least of couple of persons have confirmed that this works

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T05:54:58+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting the question in Microsoft Community! As I understand, you are facing performance issues on the computer**.** I understand that it must be frustrating, but rest assured, we are here to help fix the issue and guide you in the right direction.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to restart the computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot:

Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.

f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager windowunder startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.


Step 2: Enable half of the servicesa. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.

c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

d. Click OK, and then click Restart.


Step 3: Determine whether the problem returnsIf the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.


Step 4: Enable half of the Startup itemsIf no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.


Step 5: Determine whether the problem returnsIf the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.


Step 6: Resolve the problemAfter you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.


Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to refer to the link and check if it helps:

Ways to improve your PC's performance

Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive

Note:

a.     If the drive is being used by another program, or is formatted using a file system other than NTFS, FAT, or FAT32, it can't be optimized.

b.    Network drives can't be optimized.

c.     If a drive isn't appearing in Optimize Drives, it might be because it contains an error. Try to repair the drive first, and then return to Optimize Drives to try again. For more info, see "To repair a drive" at the end of this article.

Method 3:

Perform SFC (System File Checker) and see if it helps.

a. Right Click at the bottom left hand side corner of desktop (on Start screen).

b. Select Command Prompt (Admin).

c. Type “SFC /scannow” and press Enter.

If you are still facing the issue, please reply and we will be glad to help you.

Thanks.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-28T12:13:40+00:00

    I believe I've identified the issue as being the Broadcom Card Reader service, at least on my system.

    Maybe not be solely responsible for the terrible slow down; there is apparently constant activity on the disk when the Broadcom service is running, though not enough to make the drive activity LED solid.

    Another possible culprit is the AvastUI.exe. Identified by this line in CCleaner Startup tool

    HKLM:Run | avast | AVAST Software | "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

    appears in Task Manager Start-up as

    avast! Antivirus | AVAST Software

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-28T09:49:22+00:00

    I believe I've identified the issue as being the Broadcom Card Reader service, at least on my system.

    I did take a sledgehammer to my start up after getting frustrated with the appalling performance - took over an hour to install Windows Live Essentials -  so can't discount a combination of apps/services being the cause of the issue, but after calming down and disabling all none MS services (msconfig) then reinstating and rebooting, it does seem that this is what was causing the issue for me.

    I've now uninstalled the Broadcom driver/app and disk activity has settled right down. In Task Manager similar disk throughput figures are showing, but the usage isn't hitting 100%.

    I'd be interested to hear if other people having the same issue also have a Broadcom Card Reader on their machines.

    I had been running the identical system on Win7 ult x64 for over a year with no issues.

    Now unable to use my card reader, but willing to live with that till a solution appears.

    I'm going to reinstate the other apps/services I disabled and see if it remains stable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-25T17:52:45+00:00

    I have installed windows 8 Pro 32 bit version on my desktop and the problem did not happened for a single time even i gave the processor many heavier tasks to run simultaneously but the disk usage jumps only upto 30-40% only. When only 2-3 programs are running the disk usage shows only 0-2%.

    As its a 32 bit OS and the problem is occurring in my laptop which is running on 64 bit version, I did a trick to resolve the problem.

    I copied the files ntoskrnl.exe which is actually SYSTEM.EXE and svchost.exe which is services.exe from my 32 bit desktop machine to pendrive. I wanted to replace the file to my 64bit machine but It is not possible to run windows OS and replaced those files as they are running all the time.

    So I installed ubuntu in my pen drive and booted my laptop and replaced both the files but before that i copied the 64 bit files to another location.

    I switched on my laptop, it booted very fast but the problem was still there. This means that there are some services which the system loads at the time of booting and encounters the problem.

    After that I again replaced the Original 64 bit files to their Original state.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments