Need more accurate computer diagnostic tools to find and fix problems

Anonymous
2012-04-24T20:41:21+00:00

Original Title: Why does nothing work?

Why are there no accurate computer diagnostic tools? OK. So I have some computer problems. It is not recognizing the sound card and several other things, six in all, yellow exclamation marks beside the DVD drive, OHCI compliant something or other, generic PnP Monitor, the processor (fer gawd's sake, how is it even working?), HD sound card and the PCA standard ISA bridge.

Oh yeah, first of all its a virus, then it is OEM software, so contact them. With all this, the last advice I can get is to reformat the drive and reload Win7, oh yes, and reload all my software, that at least two weeks work. And if that does not fix it, it is a hardware problem!! Why don't we just replace the mobo and see if that is it?

It is like having car problems and the garage says, "Oh yeah, we will just replace the motor and power train and see if that is the problem. If it is still there, it might be the chassis.".

What I want is a diagnostic tool that will examine the computer and pinpoint the problem and fix it. Is this too much to ask - Bill Gates? We have this for our cars. After all this time, it should be possible. In computer problems, there is way too much try this, try that. Time to switch to MAC... or Linux.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-24T22:19:03+00:00

    You're right, the internet is a great tool, and a lot of pertinent information can be found, but it's like diagnostics- not every hit is good, IYKWIM :-)

    I don't work for anybody; I'm retired. When I was working, I did everything from assembly line worker to retail manager to IS/IT. None of it was for Microsoft. If it had been, I would probably have a larger retirement fund than I have now. From looking at the news, I should have bought those Apple shares way back when. . .


    SC Tom

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-24T22:12:32+00:00

    Oh great! A discussion! You are right, I could make a fortune. I will work on that, but likely by the time we get all the solutions, there will be something better. Unfortunately, this does not answer the question, and who do YOU work for? Microsoft SEEMS to be going in this direction. I did see a beta test of some tools. Of course, there is always that great resource, the Internet...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-24T20:48:51+00:00

    <dougalco> wrote in message news:******@communitybridge2.codeplex.com.hardware...

    . . . Time to switch to MAC... or Linux.*

    Good luck with that :-) How well do their diagnostics work? Oh. . . wait. . .

    Car diagnostics aren't always all that great either. A code may be set, but the explanation isn't always/seldom is the exact thing it says is wrong. Some are very simple, but not the majority.

    If you want to make a fortune, start writing your own diagnostics program. As soon as it will solve all the problems that can crop up on a PC, sell it to Microsoft/Apple/Linux, sit back on your own private island, and enjoy yourself :-) I wish you the best!


    SC Tom

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments