I got an emailed reply (see below) but for some reason it isn't turning up here? Here is my answer to that set of recommendations, though:
Thanks again for the reply.
I didn't make any changes prior to this problem - the computer is fairly new and I've hardly used it. When I first got it, I installed some programs, and uninstalled some default
programs (like the antivirus that came pre-loaded). That's pretty much it. I can't say exactly when this problem started, but it wasn't there originally, because when I set the computer up, I did change the update settings.
I tried Method 1 and here is what I got:
Trying to access the update settings after this didn't change anything - the problem was still there.
Trying Method 2 - both processes were already started, so I couldn't click on Start (it was greyed out). They were both set to start automatically.
Trying Method 3: I got the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any Integrity Violations."
When I then type in the command given on that page to open the scfdetails.txt file, I get the following message: "FINDSTR: Cannot open MyLastName\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
When I search programs and files for sfcdetails.txt, I'm told that no items match my search.
From: Microsoft Answers <MicrosoftAnswers@microsoft.com>
To:
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 2:40 PM
Subject: can't change windows update settings even though I am the administrator
|
|
| * * * |
|
| Hello cwyn: <br><br> <br><br>Your question on Microsoft Answers has received a reply:<br> <br><br><br>Question<br><br>can't change windows update settings even though I am the administrator<br> <br><br> <br><br><br>Reply<br><br><br>Hi,<br><br><br> <br><br><br>Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?<br><br><br> <br><br><br>Please follow the methods listed below.<br><br><br><br><br><br>Method 1:<br><br><br>Run the troubleshooter form the link mentioned below.<br><br><br>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br>Method 2:<br><br><br>Let’s check if Windows update service is started.<br><br><br>Follow the steps mentioned below.<br><br><br>a. Click on start button.<br><br><br>b. In the start search box, type services.msc and press enter.<br><br><br>c. Right click on Windows update and select properties.<br><br><br>d. Click on start.<br><br><br>e. Follow the same for Background Intelligent Transfer Service<br><br><br>f. Click on OK.<br><br><br>g. Restart the computer and test the issue.<br><br><br><br><br><br>Method 3:<br><br><br>Try running the system file checker tool from the link mentioned below.<br><br><br>How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7<br><br><br>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 |
|