can't change windows update settings even though I am the administrator

Anonymous
2012-03-12T02:33:33+00:00

When I try to change the windows update settings, the options are greyed out and I get the message at the top "Some settings are managed by your system administrator."  However, I am the system administrator.  Creating another account and designating it the system administrator account does not help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-25T10:20:50+00:00

This was the only way I found to fix this:

Be very careful editing windows registry

For Windows Vista/7

Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

Reboot

You should now be able to edit Windows Update

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-10T13:59:46+00:00

    is this work at windows 8?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-03T21:20:41+00:00

    absolutely nailed it, thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-20T16:14:45+00:00

    Since the solutions offered on the Microsoft website only work if the update file exists the only solution i can come to is to repair or reinstall the OS. Not an easy task if you purchased a laptop with the OS preloaded and you haven't made a recovery disk.

    To get a copy of the OS to repair from you have to contact the manufacturer  ( in my case Toshiba) who will also charge you for it. A practice I find offensive since I already bought the OS when I purchased the laptop.

    A personal update to my own situation is that while trying to repair the OS the hard drive died and I have gone out to buy a new laptop. I'm left with the thought that the corruption of the OS was due to the impending failure of the hard drive.

    Hope this has helped.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-20T15:14:33+00:00

    Hi mfh2112 !

    i had the same:

                               "There is no windows update at all"

    what's the problem actually? if it is there!


    [ if the problem is solved, make at least "got solved by _ _ _ _ _ _", it will help you as well as other community users! and don't forget "mark it as answer"/ "me too"!]

    Thanks,


    Regards,

    Vineet Garg.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments