can't change windows update settings even though I am the administrator

Anonymous
2012-03-12T02:33:33+00:00

When I try to change the windows update settings, the options are greyed out and I get the message at the top "Some settings are managed by your system administrator."  However, I am the system administrator.  Creating another account and designating it the system administrator account does not help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-25T10:20:50+00:00

This was the only way I found to fix this:

Be very careful editing windows registry

For Windows Vista/7

Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

Reboot

You should now be able to edit Windows Update

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-12T22:10:30+00:00

    This worked for me the first try, Win 7 Home premium SP1.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-10T08:19:47+00:00

    This was the only way I found to fix this:

    Be very careful editing windows registry

    For Windows Vista/7

    Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

    Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

    On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

    Reboot

    You should now be able to edit Windows Update

    My issue is resolved Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-06-17T12:55:17+00:00

    I tried this and when I get to the windows Update Folder in the registry it  won't open. Evidently I have not gotten any updates since 2015!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-12-27T21:07:43+00:00

    This was the only way I found to fix this:

    Be very careful editing windows registry

    For Windows Vista/7

    Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

    Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

    On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

    Reboot

    You should now be able to edit Windows Update

    it was v hard to find out these things, plz make it more clear, at last i found the au option but the second option named as NoAutoUpdate was not found at all. i deleted the au file and restarted it did nt work. i ve windows 7 ultimate 64 nit edition can u provide further help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments