can't change windows update settings even though I am the administrator

Anonymous
2012-03-12T02:33:33+00:00

When I try to change the windows update settings, the options are greyed out and I get the message at the top "Some settings are managed by your system administrator."  However, I am the system administrator.  Creating another account and designating it the system administrator account does not help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-25T10:20:50+00:00

This was the only way I found to fix this:

Be very careful editing windows registry

For Windows Vista/7

Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

Reboot

You should now be able to edit Windows Update

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T09:50:53+00:00

    This was the only way I found to fix this:

    Be very careful editing windows registry

    For Windows Vista/7

    Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

    Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

    On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

    Reboot

    You should now be able to edit Windows Update

    I found this worked just perfect. thank you

    I also tired the creating an administrator account but that did not work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-06T01:23:27+00:00

    Thank you for that info.

    Four weeks I've been trying to fix this on my own.

    Your advice was what I needed.

    At the end clicking on 'windows update' the only thing that popped up was 'disable windows update access'

    It told me to disable that, I would have to type in a '0' instead of the one which I did, Lo and behold I now have regained control of my updates .

    Kudos to your easy fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-05T21:20:34+00:00

    Thank you so much after so many weeks of research, I found this tip . I was a bit reluctant to try this as I am quite a novice and didn't want to wreck my computer, however hey presto this worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-09T19:02:00+00:00

    it worked for me also

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments