can't change windows update settings even though I am the administrator

Anonymous
2012-03-12T02:33:33+00:00

When I try to change the windows update settings, the options are greyed out and I get the message at the top "Some settings are managed by your system administrator."  However, I am the system administrator.  Creating another account and designating it the system administrator account does not help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-25T10:20:50+00:00

This was the only way I found to fix this:

Be very careful editing windows registry

For Windows Vista/7

Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

Reboot

You should now be able to edit Windows Update

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-27T19:02:17+00:00

    Hi,

    I'm dealing with windows 8.1 and cannot get system administrator to allow updates.

    Will your windows 7 fix work for me?

    Not 100% tech savy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-20T14:09:39+00:00

    This was the only way I found to fix this:

    Be very careful editing windows registry

    For Windows Vista/7

    Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

    Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

    On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

    Reboot

    You should now be able to edit Windows Update

    i did that, but i still could't access windows update after the reboot, and some days later, the registry values reappeared!

    sorry to bother you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-02T15:09:10+00:00

    I have the same problem but i am using windows 8.1 , does anyone know how to fix this for windows 8.1? please help :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-28T07:20:00+00:00

    i only have 

    (default) 

    and

    DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments