Where is "Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool"?

Anonymous
2012-09-04T00:38:56+00:00

All the instructions I receive tell me to go to the "Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool", but when I click on the link, all it does is take me to forums and lists.  Is there actually a "tool" that exists on this site, and if so, why doesn't clicking on the hyperlink take me there.  I'm trying to figure out why my Wireless USB Adapter will not connect.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T12:53:29+00:00

    @Cybot: There is a reason why your custom modem is not compatible with Win7 -- the maker of the modem is not supporting it.  This isn't Microsoft's fault.

    


    If you need a safe modem that will be OS and hardware independent and do its own work, go for an external modem that plugs into your computer's serial port.

    


    As long as it is embedded in the computer, it is dependent on both the hardware and the OS.

    


    External modems aren't controller-less -- they have the controller in the modem and aren't dependent on your computer, whereas the one you have is dependent on the computer for all it's resources -- so if you want to have HW that does it's wown work for a modem -- go external.

    


    Like you, I also go for "component" PC-design.  With separate cards for video and networking.   It would be nice to have an external option for video, since I can't upgrade my video card due to newer (faster) cards requiring a new version of PCI-Express.  I have mostly settled with an external sound system using my video card's HDMI output.  But interestingly enough, I use MS's audio drivers, instead of the vendor (Nvidia) audio drivers, because the Vendor's driver files have a bug that won't allow audio output unless you have it associated with another screen.    The MS driver doesn't require me to keep a 2nd monitor (a flat screen TV, really), turned on -- and can drive HDMI sound independently as HDMI was designed.  If you use the Nvidia audio drivers that come with their driver package, it will shut off the sound if it doesn't detect a video monitor.  Big waste of money/electricity. 

    


    So if you want to go with independent stuff, it looks like separate, stand-alone hardware is becoming the way to go and ditching your PC-HW dependent modem for a standalone-external modem would be the way to go.

    


    Remember, if your modem was purchased for XP, that was year 2000.  This is 14 years later.  How many things in your life are usable for >10 years?

    It's not a custom modem. It is (was) sold at computer stores that carried that stuff at the time. It first came out for during win 95/98 years but was still supported when I built my XP machine. I got mine at the local Fry's electronics. I still have the retail box even. It's a great Modem that can still serve as a fax device - assuming I can get working device drivers for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments