Where is "Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool"?

Anonymous
2012-09-04T00:38:56+00:00

All the instructions I receive tell me to go to the "Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool", but when I click on the link, all it does is take me to forums and lists.  Is there actually a "tool" that exists on this site, and if so, why doesn't clicking on the hyperlink take me there.  I'm trying to figure out why my Wireless USB Adapter will not connect.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-31T21:53:46+00:00

    Hello, squeezy

    There's a good deal more information required to resolve a situation such as you describe - what operating system is in use for each of the two computers you're trying to connect, what router model you're using to connect them, what software update revision the router is running, what exactly you are trying to accomplish with Easy Connect, what type cabling you're using, and more.  The reason you can't find the referenced tool is, as I noted in the February post you've replied to, because it is no longer available (Microsoft really needs to update that help article). 

    Were I you, I might first look at the helpful suggestions in Jack MVP's July 15, 2010 post (which I think should have been marked as answer, rather than the one that is marked so) to this Answers Community thread: "Easy connect" and see if that didn't help resolve the problem. 

    If it does not, I'd bear in mind that the quickest way to get help is to create your own, new thread. 

    It may not seem obvious- after all, this 2012 thread is apparently specifically about the problem you're facing, and you most likely found this thread via a search for one or another of the problem's parameters - but I believe you'll find it's almost always a better idea to create your own new Community thread for any particular question you may have. This is because new questions will always come to the attention of either the Forum (Microsoft employee) or Community (Volunteer expert) Moderators, while discussion posts and postings to old threads (such as this one from 2012) do not necessarily automatically come to the notice of the Moderators - or of the "Community Stars" who quite often provide some of the best answers to Community Member's questions; many of the latter use the Community-provided tools to seek out such questions specifically so they can provide help. Posting to an older thread is unlikely to come to the attention

    of anyone other than those who - like myself in this particular instance - are *subscribed* to this thread due to having either clicked the "Had this Question - Me too" button or made a post (And ticked the "Notify me when someone responds to this post" box before posting) @ some point in the past, as I once did, and thus rcv e-mail notification of new posts.

         I also believe that how a question is asked can affect the response one receives; to this end I find that the Wiki article created by Wiki Author, Community Moderator, and MVP ZigZag3143 (MS - MVP),

    How to ask an effective question and the Microsoft Knowledge Base KB555375 article "Suggestions for asking a question on help forums" are both helpful.

    More information is available in this portion of the Microsoft Community FAQ page:

    Asking a Question or Starting a Discussion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-31T12:29:10+00:00

    I am trying to use easy Connect for the first time and Microsoft's site tells me to use the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool but I cannot find it anywhere.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-cant-I-use-Easy-Connect-with-Windows-Remote-Assistance says:

    Your router doesn't support Easy Connect. Easy Connect uses the Peer Name Resolution Protocol to transfer the Remote Assistance invitation over the Internet. You can check your router by using the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool on the Microsoft website. If you're running Windows Server, you need to install the Peer Name Resolution Protocol.

    Help....

    Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-22T05:59:30+00:00

    Hi TorbenWamsler        

    It's been deprecated.  You can pretty much do the same thing w/ another vertical tracing utility, such as the

    also-now-deprecated Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4, or its replacement Microsoft Message Analyzer 1.2.  Information about the former can be found in KB933741, "Information about Network Monitor 3", while support for the latter is found beginning @ the "Microsoft Message Analyzer Operating Guide" page; there's a wealth of information also to be found @ the Message Analyzer blog, the Technology Tutorials, and the Message Analyzer Wiki hosted on TechNet, the Message Analyzer Forum on Social TechNet, and in the instructive Videos Project Coordinator Paul E. Long has posted to YouTube.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T22:45:37+00:00

    Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool

    Why are we unable to get in contact with this Tool?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-10T19:30:41+00:00

    never ever had an issue with it when using while using windows 7. if M$ was going to take it down, then they should have also released a patch for win 7 that removed the links for it in the OS help files

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments