I just looked up the modem that is I chose for my XP desktop, and my Zoom PCI plus 56k (2920) hardware based modem is not windows 7 compatible! all their other modems that are either softmodems or are controllerless are still compatible tho. that is really messe up. I am planning building a new PC soon, and am planning on reusing several components (the MB I have lined up has 3x PCI slots). There seems to be a trend of the both M$ and the hardware industry trying to push consumers away from hardware based PC components. I prefer to have my different parts of my PC (sound, video, networking) do their own work, and not rely on the CPU to do their work for them before passing it back to the different components (video, sound, networking). there is really no reason what so ever why my modem should not be able to work under win7. the only limiting factor that I see is the lack of drivers for zoom. I know for a fact that the modem does work under win7 as I had the modem working while running the last win7 beta when it was released on my Athlon XP desktop (where the modem resides). there 32-bit vista drivers for the modem. maybe someone can provide a reason (other than speculation) as to why there are not any 64-bit drivers for hardware based cards.
This is offhand, I'm actually looking to fix an Easy Connect issue (That I wasn't having before.) What seems to work sometimes is using a Vista Driver for Win 7. Vista seems to be the unsung hero (and maybe more useful) as an upgrade tool when migrating from XP to Win 7. I have so far done 2 upgrades on 2 very different systems. Had problems with both, but enough of Vista loaded that when I did "clean" installs of 7 without formatting, Win 7 pulled all of the hardware drivers from the Windows.old folder. This came in handy, since these were custom build machines, built by someone else.