how to delete duplicate contacts in Windows live mail

Anonymous
2012-10-03T10:14:45+00:00

I have upgraded from Outlook express (in Win xp) to Windows live mail (in win 7 professional), while importing contact , i have done it 2 times, now i want to delete duplicate contacts in one shot. Not step by step , becoz i have 4000 contacts. I can eaisly do it by deleting all and then importing once again. but it has MSN contacts also, it says while deleting MSN contacts will delete. So I am worried, becoz first I need to take backup of MSN contacts. So I am looking for a simple process

Rajiv

(removed PII)

(removed PII)

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-27T03:42:27+00:00

    my address is (removed PII). I'm unsure as to what address you're talking about. There are approximately 2700 addresses in my contacts list and at least half of them are duplicates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-29T14:50:36+00:00

    Hi Gil,

    For us to better understand this issue, how did you add these contacts? are they manually added or did you add them by connecting your 3rd party accounts to the account posted above?

    If you added your contacts by connecting it to your 3rd party account, please be informed that you can't delete them. To be able to delete a duplicate contact from your 3rd party account, you have to delete it on your 3rd party account (i.e facebook.com, twitter.com, etc.).

    We're looking forward for your response so that we can further assist you.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-29T19:23:33+00:00

    The contacts were imported from my Windows XP email account. Many are old and need to be deleted even if they weren't duplicates. With over 2500 contacts listed in my Live Mail list and knowing that at least half to two-thirds are duplicates means a great deal of wasted time doing manual deletes for each name listed. I may be retired but my time still has value and I'm tired of wasting it.

    G. Beyer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-04T01:11:04+00:00

    Hi Gil Beyer,

    Please accept my apologies for the delay in response. I see that your contacts were imported from your Windows XP email account. With this, I need you to provide us with the exact steps on how you import your contacts to from your Windows XP email account to your Windws Live Mail.

    Another thing, I would like to ask if you have imported your contacts in bulk using CSV, if so, you need to manually delete these contacts.

    We're looking forward for your response.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-04T07:21:09+00:00

    I am so technologically challenged that I don't even know what 'CSV' means.

    It looks like I'll just have to get a case of cold beer and some snacks and just go through the contact list one a time. Good thing I don't do this for a living.

    Thanks for you efforts. Maybe Microsoft will eventually come with fixes to the idiosyncrasies of Windows 8 Live Mail. I heard a rumor that a service pak will be coming out in July. One can but hope it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments