how to delete duplicate contacts in Windows live mail

Anonymous
2012-10-03T10:14:45+00:00

I have upgraded from Outlook express (in Win xp) to Windows live mail (in win 7 professional), while importing contact , i have done it 2 times, now i want to delete duplicate contacts in one shot. Not step by step , becoz i have 4000 contacts. I can eaisly do it by deleting all and then importing once again. but it has MSN contacts also, it says while deleting MSN contacts will delete. So I am worried, becoz first I need to take backup of MSN contacts. So I am looking for a simple process

Rajiv

(removed PII)

(removed PII)

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-02T04:50:16+00:00

    That won't work if there are no duplicate contacts in People. You won't get any error message because there is no error to report. 

    I have In my Windows Live Mail I have some 50 contacts, and half of them are duplicates. Of each pair of duplicate contacts, one contact is labeled "Address book" and the other is not. The one marked "Address book" can be edited or deleted. The other contact cannot be edited or deleted.

    Neither of your suggestions work at all and there are no error messages to report.

    This has obviously been going on for years and MS can't sort it out.

    This is how it works on Windows 7-

    So here goes..

    Make sure you have all your contacts on your outlook.com people list, and all duplicates have been removed.

    Download a copy of you contacts as a backup.

    Close Windows Live.

    On your PC navigate using Windows explorer to 

    C:\users\username\appdata\local\microsort\windowslive\contacts.    (where username is your login name)

    In the contacts folder you will find a folder named the same as your email address - delete the entire folder.

    Open Windows Live, sign in and your contacts should be the same as your Outlook.com list.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-15T01:19:07+00:00

    This is a bad solution, since the program recognize different contacts as duplicats, meaning it wants du merge contacts that are different people, causing havoc im my address book.

    For my part, this only doubles the duplicated contacts, so now I have 17704 contacts in my address book.

    ARRGH!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments