how to delete duplicate contacts in Windows live mail

Anonymous
2012-10-03T10:14:45+00:00

I have upgraded from Outlook express (in Win xp) to Windows live mail (in win 7 professional), while importing contact , i have done it 2 times, now i want to delete duplicate contacts in one shot. Not step by step , becoz i have 4000 contacts. I can eaisly do it by deleting all and then importing once again. but it has MSN contacts also, it says while deleting MSN contacts will delete. So I am worried, becoz first I need to take backup of MSN contacts. So I am looking for a simple process

Rajiv

(removed PII)

(removed PII)

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-10T19:29:10+00:00

    Hi Rajiv,

    Please try these 2 options in Deleting/Clearing duplicate contacts:

    1. Open your Live Mail.

    Click Contacts on the lower left corner of your page.

    3. Click Clean up contacts on the Home Tab before your name, this will lead you to connect on your web page account.

    4. Click Save.

    Or

    1. Sign in to People

    2. Click Manage.

    3. Click Clean up contacts.

    4. Click Save and continue button.

    Hope these helps.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-20T16:54:39+00:00

    This does not work for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-22T02:38:50+00:00

    Hi Avila123,

    I'd like to try and help you out. Can you give us more details on what happened to the contacts list when you followed the instructions above? Did you receive any error message? If yes, what is the exact error message? We'll have a better idea of the appropriate troubleshooting steps that we should give you if you'll provide us a more detailed description of what happened to the account.

    Anyway, I'd like to ask, is this a Microsoft account? If yes, have you tried cleaning up the contacts in the People page of your Microsoft account? If not, I suggest that you try the steps below and then reconfigure the account on your WIndows Live Mail.

    1. Sign in to https://people.live.com.
    2. On the upper part of the screen, click on Manage>>Clean up contacts.  Details of duplicated contacts will be displayed and you will have the option to select then hit Save.

    Once done, please try to reconfigure the account in your Windows Live Mail by following the instructions on the link below:

    How do I add an account to Windows Live Mail?

    I'll look forward for your next reply.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-25T16:46:00+00:00

    Tried both options above and it insists that there are no duplicates found. This is a completely untrue as I have a minimum of 1200 duplicate entries. Any other ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-04-27T02:24:12+00:00

    Hello,

    I understand that you wanted to delete duplicate contacts from Windows Live Mail. Please provide us with the affected email address so that we can check it on our end. Refer to the private message I created for you and post the affected email address there. I initiate private message to keep your email address from public view.

    Note:

    You need to click the notification that states “You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private message section,” or by clicking the “Private Messages” tab.

    We will be waiting for your reply.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments