how to delete duplicate contacts in Windows live mail

Anonymous
2012-10-03T10:14:45+00:00

I have upgraded from Outlook express (in Win xp) to Windows live mail (in win 7 professional), while importing contact , i have done it 2 times, now i want to delete duplicate contacts in one shot. Not step by step , becoz i have 4000 contacts. I can eaisly do it by deleting all and then importing once again. but it has MSN contacts also, it says while deleting MSN contacts will delete. So I am worried, becoz first I need to take backup of MSN contacts. So I am looking for a simple process

Rajiv

(removed PII)

(removed PII)

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-20T20:25:42+00:00

    Hi Rajiv,

     

    Please try these 2 options in Deleting/Clearing duplicate contacts:

     

    1. Open your Live Mail.
    2. Click Contacts on the lower left corner of your page.
    3. Click Clean up contacts on the Home Tab before your name, this will lead you to connect on your web page account.
    4. Click Save.

     

    Or

     

    1. Sign in to People
    2. Click Manage.
    3. Click Clean up contacts.
    4. Click Save and continue button.

     

    Hope these helps.

     

    Thanks!

    I still can't get to use the clean up contacts option.  What do I have to do to delete an unwanted contact?  I went into people, manage, but the clean up contacts was not an option I could choose.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-14T01:51:43+00:00

    Hi RaySandilands,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community forum!

    First of all, please accept my apologies for not being able to respond to your query in a timely manner.

    Please be informed that you can access your People page or **http://people.live.com******using web browsers. You may follow the steps provided by Ace_J on how to clean up contacts from your People page.

    Let us know for any results on this matter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-08T18:00:56+00:00

    I am having the same problem as everyone else. The link to people.live.mail seems to be for Outlook users, not live.mail. 

    In live.mail,on clicking on clean up contacts, the message is

    The requested URL "**https://profile.live.com/cid-4834ffd6e1f68ecd/contacts/matches**" cannot be found or is not available. Please check the spelling or try again later.

    I am using Windows 8.1 in a new laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T07:24:24+00:00

    Hello CharlesRufino,

    Thank you for posting and I'm sorry for the late response.

    I understand that you can't use the "Clean Up Contacts" on your Windows Live Mail.

    For us to make sure that this is not a Windows Live Mail issue, please do the steps below:

    1. Log in to http://people.live.com.
    2. Click Manage.
    3. Choose Clean up contacts.
    4. Select the contacts that you want to clean up.
    5. Click Clean up.

    If the issue persists, please post back.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-30T13:37:31+00:00

    Hello,

    I want to retract my vote, this entry did not help.

    In Windows Live Mail on the Contacts home page, there is an icon that says "Clean Up Contacts"

    It takes me to a page that says this:

    We can't find that page

    The page no longer exists, is private, or might have moved. Make sure the web address is correct or try using a different link.

    I created a Live account just to save the hassle of manually deleting all the duplicate contacts.  I would have been done by now if I had just started doing them manually.

    Microsoft has the uncanny knack of irritating its customers to an astonishing degree.  Why build something into a program and then not check that it functions.  It amazes me that this company stays in business.

    Charles

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments