how to delete duplicate contacts in Windows live mail

Anonymous
2012-10-03T10:14:45+00:00

I have upgraded from Outlook express (in Win xp) to Windows live mail (in win 7 professional), while importing contact , i have done it 2 times, now i want to delete duplicate contacts in one shot. Not step by step , becoz i have 4000 contacts. I can eaisly do it by deleting all and then importing once again. but it has MSN contacts also, it says while deleting MSN contacts will delete. So I am worried, becoz first I need to take backup of MSN contacts. So I am looking for a simple process

Rajiv

(removed PII)

(removed PII)

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T19:47:14+00:00

    Hi Rajiv,

    Please try these 2 options in Deleting/Clearing duplicate contacts:

    1. Open your Live Mail.
    2. Click Contacts on the lower left corner of your page.
    3. Click Clean up contacts on the Home Tab before your name, this will lead you to connect on your web page account.
    4. Click Save.

    Or

    1. Sign in to People
    2. Click Manage.
    3. Click Clean up contacts.
    4. Click Save and continue button.

    Hope these helps.

    Thanks!

    doesn't work. doesn't have any effect on windows live mail. and doesn't pick up duplicates on "people"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-19T08:00:50+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-19T07:21:15+00:00

    Thank you, now how can I disconnect from skype?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-16T06:49:41+00:00

    Chang Paul's pictures illustrate the problem well. The second contact is from a different source and cannot be edited or removed.

    On the ribbon command bar, click View as > List. This displays your contacts as a table. You can right-click on column headings to add, change and remove columns. Arrange to see at least Name and From, then click on the From column heading to sort by that field. The entries will now be shown in groups, with your own contacts labelled Address book (Carnet d'adresses en français). Those that come from another service can only be removed by breaking the connection to that service, or by removing them within that service. Those that have no entry in the From field probably come from Skype.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-16T01:49:07+00:00

    Hi,

    I am having the same problem, as attached by Chang Paul (second last post)  

    Clean up contacts will not merge or remove duplicate contacts

    How do I solve this problem?

    Cheers

    Joe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments