Windows 8 app store and PC Settings won't open.

Anonymous
2012-11-17T16:09:36+00:00

Every time I click on the app store it starts to open and then closes. I was trying to find a solution to it and one was to do a computer refresh. So i went to do that and thats when I noticed that the pc settings won't open either. I've done most of the methods that have been posted to other people's questions. Is there some other way to refresh?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T23:44:30+00:00

    Hey, I found out how to easily fix this:

           SFC /SCANNOW

     1. Go to Desktop--> C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe. Open Command Prompt.Important: You must run Command Prompt as an administrator in Windows 7 and Windows Vista to use System File Checker.

    1. Once Command Prompt is open, type the following command and then press Enter : sfc /scannow

    Note: There's a space between sfc and /scannow.

    3.System File Checker will now verify the integrity of every protected operating system file on your computer. Wait 15-20 minutes until it's all done.

    1. Restart your computer if sfc /scannow did actually repair any files.

    Note: System File Checker may or may not prompt you to restart but even if it doesn't, you should restart anyway

    1. Repeat whatever process caused your original problem to see if sfc /scannow corrected the issue.
    2. I figured out this last night, by myself, and worked like a charm. Now i can use PC Setting Metro Style.
    3. Njoy! Share is love

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-31T05:08:30+00:00

    Thanks for this tip!  I haven't had a repeat of the issue, but if I do, I'll try this.  This utility sounds useful for other potential system file issues as well: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-31T05:13:06+00:00

    Did you open the command prompt with admin rights?  There are two options for command prompt, one with and one without admin rights.  If you're signed in with the first account that was setup in Windows 8, it should already be an admin account, but you may still have to explicitly open the command prompt with admin rights.

    HTH

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-31T20:11:27+00:00

    When you find the command prompt right click it and open as admin. SFC /SCANNOW only run as admin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-01-01T21:33:56+00:00

    It shows errors that I am unable to fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments