Windows 8 app store and PC Settings won't open.

Anonymous
2012-11-17T16:09:36+00:00

Every time I click on the app store it starts to open and then closes. I was trying to find a solution to it and one was to do a computer refresh. So i went to do that and thats when I noticed that the pc settings won't open either. I've done most of the methods that have been posted to other people's questions. Is there some other way to refresh?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-26T14:35:00+00:00

    Having the same issue since last night. 

    1. I believe an NVIDIA driver update was pushed/installed through Windows update, which prevented the computer from fully starting Windows after reboot.
    2. I rebooted, pressed F8, and used Windows Restore to remove all installed apps/updates but preserve my user files (documents, etc.).
    3. Windows 8 now boots and I can login with my MS Account password (locally).
    4. I then disabled auto-installation of Windows Update downloads so I don't have this issue going forward.  I set Windows Update so I can review updates before installing and will avoid Nvidia updates.
    5. I can sign into my Windows account locally with my MS Account password, but the Action Center on the desktop requests that I "Click here to enter my most recent password (Important)."
    6. I click on that, it loads the Windows 8 settings splash screen (the gear symbol), but then immediately exits back to the desktop.
    7. I try to manually go into the Settings option from the Charms bar, but have the same result: splash screen displays but Settings won't open.  Therefore, I can't enter the MS Account password it is requesting.
    8. The Windows Store shows the same behavior.
    9. Other non-admin accounts on the PC also exhibit the same behaviors.
    10. I'm going to try to restore again, but I expect the same issue.
    11. My guess is that the MS Account info is corrupted locally, but it's severe enough that it won't allow me to launch and re-authenticate with the service over the internet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-21T11:28:49+00:00

    I have the same problem. I upgraded last week from Vista to windows 8 and have been unable to connect using the Store app. I have also had great problems finding the windows 8 PC app store. When using Bing it takes you everywhere except the app store , at least you can still rely on Google !

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-20T00:41:25+00:00

    From Event Viewer:

    Activation of app winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy!Windows.Store failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-20T00:35:12+00:00

    i have the exact same issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-11-18T18:25:18+00:00

    I haven't made any changes at all. I've only had the computer for maybe two weeks. When I try to open the programs it pulls up the loading screen and then immediately closes. I don't get any error messages. I've tried Method 1, 2, 4, and 5. I can't get into the PC Settings so I can't boot in safe mode. I went ahead and tried the other parts to that method just in case and they didn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    200+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments