Can I use a recovery disc for a different computer?

Anonymous
2012-07-17T15:21:31+00:00

Hello 

I have two Dell computers (Dell Inspiron 5100 and a dell Demsion 4600) both (I believe) was bought in the same year both are still running today, however the dell inspiron 5100 runs to slow to get anything done and when I went looking for a recover disc I only found the dell drivers and program disc, ect but what did I not find? The Windows XP Home Edition operating system disc, but I found one for the Dell Deminsion 4600. So can I use a Dell Demsion 4600  Windows XP Reinstallation CD to restore a Dell Inspiron 5100?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-17T18:51:19+00:00

You can restore your computer this way if you wish.

Save all your Documents to a external source of transfer them to the other computer first.

Then follow these instructions which are almost identical depending on the age of your computer.

Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec

NOTE: Dell PC Restore is available only on computers purchased in certain regions.

Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system. PC Restore

restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or

files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard

drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on.

If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.

NOTICE: Using PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any applications or drivers

installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using PC Restore.

To use PC Restore:

1 Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the

computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.

4 On the next screen, click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

Dell PC Restore

Using PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.

  NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot.

Click Restore and click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6 to 10 minutes to complete.

When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

  NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

When prompted, click Yes.

The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

Click Next.

The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

After the computer restarts, click OK.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-18T15:43:39+00:00

    The answer is yes, in the event that the Dimension 4600 and Inspiron 5100 both have licenses to run Windows XP Home. These CDs are identical.

    Daavee.............what you said is similar to what I said and my post was edited and that part removed.

    I said he could use the 4600 CD on the 5100 as long as the 4600 was not in use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-18T13:42:42+00:00

    I have lost the Windows XP Reinstallation CD for my Dell Inspiron 5100, however I still have my Dell Deminion 4600 Windows XP Reinstallation CD, My question is can I use the Deminsion's  Windows XP Reinstallation CD on my Inspiron, sorry for the confusion.

    The answer is yes, in the event that the Dimension 4600 and Inspiron 5100 both have licenses to run Windows XP Home. These CDs are identical.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-18T12:13:54+00:00

    I have lost the Windows XP Reinstallation CD for my Dell Inspiron 5100, however I still have my Dell Deminion 4600 Windows XP Reinstallation CD, My question is can I use the Deminsion's  Windows XP Reinstallation CD on my Inspiron, sorry for the confusion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-18T01:34:27+00:00

    Nick, using the term "Recovery Disc" is confusing everyone here. There is a BIG difference between Dell Recovery Discs (which are meant for specific models) and Dell-branded Windows XP Reinstallation CDs (which are generic).

    If you are asking about the latter, the answer is YES, provided that both Dell PCs have COA stickers on the cases indicating Windows XP Home. It will look something like this:

    http://s.ecrater.com/stores/217616/4e1deb2b2c5ed_217616b.jpg

    or this:

    http://bonanzleimages.s3.amazonaws.com/afu/images/0234/2351/g4_001.jpg

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments