Can I use a recovery disc for a different computer?

Anonymous
2012-07-17T15:21:31+00:00

Hello 

I have two Dell computers (Dell Inspiron 5100 and a dell Demsion 4600) both (I believe) was bought in the same year both are still running today, however the dell inspiron 5100 runs to slow to get anything done and when I went looking for a recover disc I only found the dell drivers and program disc, ect but what did I not find? The Windows XP Home Edition operating system disc, but I found one for the Dell Deminsion 4600. So can I use a Dell Demsion 4600  Windows XP Reinstallation CD to restore a Dell Inspiron 5100?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-17T18:51:19+00:00

You can restore your computer this way if you wish.

Save all your Documents to a external source of transfer them to the other computer first.

Then follow these instructions which are almost identical depending on the age of your computer.

Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec

NOTE: Dell PC Restore is available only on computers purchased in certain regions.

Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system. PC Restore

restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or

files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard

drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on.

If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.

NOTICE: Using PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any applications or drivers

installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using PC Restore.

To use PC Restore:

1 Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the

computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.

4 On the next screen, click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

Dell PC Restore

Using PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.

  NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot.

Click Restore and click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6 to 10 minutes to complete.

When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

  NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

When prompted, click Yes.

The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

Click Next.

The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

After the computer restarts, click OK.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T12:58:37+00:00

    Here is what happened me and my cousin bought a Dell Inspiron 5100 EXEPT he bought his used which was stuipd because it was more than I paid for mine, and when he tryed to put windows 8 on his it failedterribly, so he then had no use for it he sold it to me, so yes I do have two dell Inspiron 5100, sorry for any confusion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T12:30:39+00:00

    I you are telling me to get a new computer you are too late I have built 2 desktops and bought a laptop since 2009, the only reason I saved two computers is they where my first desktop and laptop and everyone in my family tells me do not get rid of something if it still works, I don't even have the oldest computer in the family my dad has a Windows 95 computer!

    Besides that thank you for your first post and I have some/same info found on Dell.com found here [ http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_181316&isLegacy=true ]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-18T22:54:03+00:00

    OK thanks for the info:

    I came to the forum to give back the help I got when I needed it, and to learn more about computers, I learn something new every time I come here.

    This person we are trying to help is wastig our  time, we have all seen people like him before, he is actually waiting for someone to say something that will click in his brain and that may never come.

    As for his two 10 year old computers they are junk and he should just throw them in the garbage and buy a new one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-18T16:40:45+00:00

    How many threads are you going to create dealing with the same computer(s)?

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/5d895fad-4907-41f2-a733-17dacda85c13

    Microsoft Surcurity Essentials will not uninstall

    When I try to uninstall Microsoft Surcurity Essentials on my old Dell laptop it did nothing! I try to uninstall another program and it took 2 minutes for it to uninstall, how do I uninstall Microsoft Surcurity Essentials?

    Note: Im on Windows XP

    ___________________________________________

    Windows XP is Not Genuine?

    After ten year I got a message when I booted up saying Windows Is Not Guniune and at the top it said Windows XP Professional well I have windows XP Home Edition not Pro, but why did I get that message today not 10 years ago? What can I do to make it Guniune again?

    ___________________________________________

    Can my dell Inspiron 5100 run windows 8? Hello, 

    I have a VERY SLOW dell Inspiron 5100 with a 30gb hard drive and a Pentuim  4 processor  currently running windows XP home however Microsoft is no longer supporting XP starting in 2014 and I have Windows 8 on another computer with a 35gb partition and works fine, so what should I do deal with XP or upgrade to 8, I will be using this computer for word documents, email, ect nothing BIG.So can I run Windows 8 on it?

    Also will windows 8 recognize my Netgear Wireless adapter?

    all reply's are welcome

    ________________________________________

    And there are more. You are having all the issues I previously eluded to because you refuse to post any details or answer questions. I'm not trying to be difficult but, rather trying to help you. You have all these different people who assist trying to assist you in 4 different threads all of which boil down to the same principal issue. You're gonna keep on performing all these different task and end up with neither computer being able to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments