I am trying to reset windows xp back to original settings but I am missing the file winnt32.exe. Where can I go to get the download

Anonymous
2012-02-25T21:56:09+00:00

I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-12T23:22:01+00:00

You can download the IT version of service pack 3 from HERE. Save it to your desktop. Use a file extraction software such as WnRar to extract the service pack 3 file that you downloaded to extract the files to C drive. Once the files have been extracted click Start > Run and paste the below command > Click Ok. This should install recovery console.

C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the i386 folder will contain the winnt32.exe file you were asking for.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T06:48:27+00:00

    Thank you for that info. It helps me out a lot.

    I don't have anything I really need to save that I cannot download again. And maybe I need to lose half of what is on the hard drive that was put on it when my son had this computer.

    It is a HP Pavillion, Model #:  03746100009486. It is possible that it is one my son put together himself, supposedly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T07:16:06+00:00

    That long string of numbers can't be the model number! (Maybe it is your serial number.)

    You need to find out what the model number really is:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/findModel?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

    Then go to this page:

    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

    to find instructions on how to return your PC to its original condition.

    This page might be helpful, too:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00006110&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=18703

    Post back if you still need help.

    (Is this a laptop or desktop?)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T13:43:48+00:00

    This is a desktop.  The plate on the front says 8575 C.  It is also on the back plate under the word Pavillion. Thank you for showing me where it was.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T13:51:53+00:00

    This is a desktop.  The plate on the front says 8575 C.  It is also on the back plate under the word Pavillion. Thank you for showing me where it was.

    YW.

    You can start here:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=59816

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments