I am trying to reset windows xp back to original settings but I am missing the file winnt32.exe. Where can I go to get the download

Anonymous
2012-02-25T21:56:09+00:00

I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-12T23:22:01+00:00

You can download the IT version of service pack 3 from HERE. Save it to your desktop. Use a file extraction software such as WnRar to extract the service pack 3 file that you downloaded to extract the files to C drive. Once the files have been extracted click Start > Run and paste the below command > Click Ok. This should install recovery console.

C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the i386 folder will contain the winnt32.exe file you were asking for.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-28T07:45:14+00:00

    Does the yellow information bar appear like the one in the image below?

    You must right click on it and choose download file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-29T13:33:42+00:00

    I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

     

     

    I did what you said and Malwarebytes downloaded and found 221 items of malware. It would not let me quarantine them, but it did remove them. Rkill would not work at all. Kept saying it had to close. Thank you so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-29T13:36:29+00:00

    Do not receive your images, but know what you mean.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-29T19:37:15+00:00

    Considering the amount of malware that was detected by the scanners you used I would suspect you need to run more a few more scans.

    What is your current anit-virus software?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments