I am trying to reset windows xp back to original settings but I am missing the file winnt32.exe. Where can I go to get the download

Anonymous
2012-02-25T21:56:09+00:00

I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-12T23:22:01+00:00

You can download the IT version of service pack 3 from HERE. Save it to your desktop. Use a file extraction software such as WnRar to extract the service pack 3 file that you downloaded to extract the files to C drive. Once the files have been extracted click Start > Run and paste the below command > Click Ok. This should install recovery console.

C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the i386 folder will contain the winnt32.exe file you were asking for.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-27T16:03:12+00:00

    I can assure you that your inability to download Malwarebytes is the result of malware. ClickHERE and download Rkill. Save the file to your desktop. Double click on the file and allow it to run. Rkill is a process terminator for malware.  Be advise you that it may take some time for Rkill to show that it is running. A window identical to the one below will appear and will inform you of the malware. Once Rkill has completed you should be able to download and run Malwarebytes. Once you have run Rkill it is very important that you DO NOT restart your computer until after the Malwarebytes scan has completed and instructed you to restart.

    As for the files to delete which were detected by SuperAntispyware I would recommend you allow the program to remove all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-27T18:12:13+00:00

    I can assure you that your inability to download Malwarebytes is the result of malware. ClickHERE and download Rkill. Save the file to your desktop. Double click on the file and allow it to run. Rkill is a process terminator for malware.  Be advise you that it may take some time for Rkill to show that it is running. A window identical to the one below will appear and will inform you of the malware. Once Rkill has completed you should be able to download and run Malwarebytes. Once you have run Rkill it is very important that you DO NOT restart your computer until after the Malwarebytes scan has completed and instructed you to restart.

     

    As for the files to delete which were detected by SuperAntispyware I would recommend you allow the program to remove all.

     

    I di let SuperAntiSpyware do its job completely. Do I need to start Rkill in safe mode because my internet explorer is still blocking this download also.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-27T18:27:15+00:00

    You can try Safe Mode with Networking. I need to know exactly what the error/blockage message that you are receiving says, what program is saying it. If possible send me a screenshot. Please do not quote my replies when I insert images. Thanks for understanding.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-28T04:19:00+00:00

    You can try Safe Mode with Networking. I need to know exactly what the error/blockage message that you are receiving says, what program is saying it. If possible send me a screenshot. Please do not quote my replies when I insert images. Thanks for understanding.

    To help protect your security internet explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments