I am trying to reset windows xp back to original settings but I am missing the file winnt32.exe. Where can I go to get the download

Anonymous
2012-02-25T21:56:09+00:00

I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-12T23:22:01+00:00

You can download the IT version of service pack 3 from HERE. Save it to your desktop. Use a file extraction software such as WnRar to extract the service pack 3 file that you downloaded to extract the files to C drive. Once the files have been extracted click Start > Run and paste the below command > Click Ok. This should install recovery console.

C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the i386 folder will contain the winnt32.exe file you were asking for.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T06:48:27+00:00

    Thank you for that info. It helps me out a lot.

    I don't have anything I really need to save that I cannot download again. And maybe I need to lose half of what is on the hard drive that was put on it when my son had this computer.

    It is a HP Pavillion, Model #:  03746100009486. It is possible that it is one my son put together himself, supposedly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T06:33:08+00:00

    Extended support for XP will be offered until 2014 FYI.

    In the event you decide to "reset" your PC back to its original condition, have you backed up all your data? If not, you will lose it!

    Also, what is the make, model, and model number of your PC? It's quite possible there is a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T06:10:54+00:00

    So you know I am using Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus.

    I also have the product key written down in a safe place, if it is ever needed. But I do know that microsoft is planning to stop support on windows xp not long from now and I want to be prepared should anything happen to my computer before I can get windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-05T11:37:06+00:00

    If you get to the point where you want to try to reinstall Windows make sure that you have the Windows product key before you begin!  The product key should be on a sticker somewhere on the computer, if not it can be extracted from the registry.

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments